• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Francisco, CA: Waterfowl ID (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
I was birding in San Francisco since a long while, and I need help with IDs for three birds. I apologize for the photo quality; I was out only with my cellphone.
  1. (photos 1, 2) Is this a Muscovy Duck? A domestic variant? Or a hybrid?
  2. (photos 3, 4, 5) What is this?
  3. (photo 6) What is this entirely white goose? A... "domestic goose" not to be found in the Sibley?
Many thanks, your help would be much appreciated!

Luca

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    838.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 15
Thanks! What does it mean, domestic duck?
Are they man-made hybrids? Or do they hybridize in city ponds? In what sense are they domestic?

Sorry for the trivial questions but I am not really familiar with the phenomenon…

All domestic ducks are derived from originally wild birds. Most domestic ducks have been selectively bred from Mallard for various traits- egg laying, meat & ornament. The other species domesticated is the Muscovy Duck from the Americas. The wild bird is much slimmer & darker than the domestic versions in your photo. All those above are derived from such stock even if they are now free living. Many town lakes show Mallard with features which show some domestic genes.

For avoidance of doubt . . . None of these birds is a hybrid (i.e. having more than one species in its genetic makeup).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back