• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpipers @ Wildwood Lake, St. Marys ON (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Some tough photos, but I think they are all Least Sandpipers. I believe the first are juveniles, and the second set of photos shows adults.

Best,
Jim

To me the first two photos show juvenile Pectoral Sandpipers, note e.g. the long primary projection. I agree on Least Sandpiper for the last two photos, but they look like juveniles to me (adults would have stronger breast bands and not as neatly patterned uppersides).

To me the first two photos show juvenile Pectoral Sandpipers, note e.g. the long primary projection. I agree on Least Sandpiper for the last two photos, but they look like juveniles to me (adults would have stronger breast bands and not as neatly patterned uppersides).

Agree

Ok. I'll buy that--explains why OP says second birds were small.

The birds in the first two photos appeared short-necked and short-legged at first, but that's probably just a result of the angle/posture. The bills also appear fairly thick and straight, supporting Pec.

The feathers on the birds in the second two photos don't appear to have pale fringes like the ones in the first photos, so that's why I was thinking adults. But I suppose some juveniles would start to appear worn by this time of year (though the juvenile pecs certainly don't look that way!).

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Agree the 1st two are Pects.

This spot [Wildwood] is my personal fav. local birding spot. Hey, Chris, good to hear from you.......there sure aren't many birders locally. Give me a shout if you want to hook up some time, I'm out almost every day.

Cheers.

The feathers on the birds in the second two photos don't appear to have pale fringes like the ones in the first photos, so that's why I was thinking adults. But I suppose some juveniles would start to appear worn by this time of year (though the juvenile pecs certainly don't look that way!).

The "lack" of pale fringes is probably a result of saturation. But anyway the 2 birds are far too colourfull and boldly patterned to be adults.

But anyway the 2 birds are far too colourfull and boldly patterned to be adults.

I think that's overstating things a bit as adults in fresh breeding plumage can look fairly colorful IMO, but it is late for adults to be in breeding plumage I believe. (They might be too colorful to be adults, but not "far too colorful"). In any event, I was comparing them to the juvenile in the first two photos (which we now agree to be a pec), and they looked considerably drabber by comparison, so there had to be some explanation--age or different species--and it turned out to be different species.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
The pictures are not good . . .url]http://www.fotothing.com/photos/da2/da2614ef9b35637443977bc71783b69e_185.jpg[/url]

But obviously more than good enough for an ID! However, I'm curious about the camera used for your photos. Point-&-shoot? DSLR? Did you post the photos full-frame or are they cropped?

So Pectoral Sandpiper and Least Sandpiper? Great, thanks everyone!! Wildwood is a good spot indeed, let us know if you see any pelicans!

Wildwood is a great spot.

I don't get there too often, but when I do the birding is good.

Chris, you may want to join our local listserve for Oxford, Middlesex, and Elgin counties. There are many local birders on this listserve and a few that post their findings almost daily. If you decide to join, you can post yours and get help with ids as well. Here is the link.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/midd_elgi_observations/

Len

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back