• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sanibel Island (1 Viewer)

Mark Jarrett

Up Ont’ Moors
England
If Covid allows, we are hoping to come over to Florida, probably in November this year. We intend to rent a property on Sanibel for three or four weeks. Looks a decent enough spot after having looked at eBird sightings. Anyone any experience of birding on the island? Also any thoughts on restaurants, cafés and places to eat out. Thanks in advance.

Best spot to bird in the island is obviously the JN Ding Darking NWR, the loop road will give you a good variety of birds depending on the time of the year with guaranteed chances to see Roseate Spoonbills, Reddish Egret, Yellow-crowned Night-Heron and Mottled Duck along with many of the common waders and wintering birds like American White Pelican, Bald Eagle and dozens of shorebird species. If you get a place with beach access, keep a lookout for Black Skimmers, plovers and other shorebirds that prefer beach habitat over the mangrove marshes of the refuge. Surprisingly, Pileated Woodpecker is as, if not more, common than the Red-bellied Woodpecker on the island, so you'll have plenty to see.

Going outside of the island can give you access to more habitats, including the Cape Coral Public Library which is great for Burrowing Owl (Florida ssp.), and an hour drive North or South will take you to Babcock Webb WMA (Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Bachman's Sparrow, Brown-headed Nuthatch, etc.) or to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary (Barred Owl, Wood Stork, Painted & Indigo Buntings.).

There are other places to see and check out, but if you want to give just a few places the focus, I'd say to give those priority due to both their popularity and the habitat variety will mean you'll get a good trip list.

Thanks for that Igonz, very helpful. I’ve probably seen most of the birds that I’m likely to see on Sanibel but the two areas you mention, away from the island, look interesting. A chance of a few lifers. Either way, I’m going to enjoy the rest and relaxation and hope to do a fair bit of photography.

Thanks for that Igonz, very helpful. I’ve probably seen most of the birds that I’m likely to see on Sanibel but the two areas you mention, away from the island, look interesting. A chance of a few lifers. Either way, I’m going to enjoy the rest and relaxation and hope to do a fair bit of photography.
Some useful info here: Home || SCCF: Home || SCCF: Home || SCCF: Home || SCCF: Birds of Sanibel Island: A Comprehensive Guide: https://sanibel-captiva.org/wp-content/uploads/Walking-Trails-Map-and-Descriptions.pdf: Sanibel Lighthouse Park

It doesn't look too different from the times I was there in 1992 and 2001! There was an excellent cafe called the Lighthouse Cafe where people queued to get breakfast...

The toll causeway was good for birding early each morning - the tolls were on the mainland, and so you didn't have to pay to get to the islands between Sanibel and the tolls.
MJB
Edit: I note that the individual SCCF Preserves addresses seem to have reverted to the SCCF Home address, but you'll work it out

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back