• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SASOL guide Birds of Southern Africa 5th edition (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
This new edition is, apparently, available. But how much has really changed? It's clear that the blurb on the front cover makes you feel you need it. So for those who own the previous (4th) edition, should they buy it? I got my copy of the 4th edition in April 2012, and it is still pretty much in pristine condition. I simply had no chance of travelling that far south.

18 additional pages, apparently. Comparing the few new plates shown on the NHBS website, it looks like there are several improvements regarding illustrations, but also less illustrations. Thus juveniles are gone in some cases. Range maps seem not greatly different.

Last edited:
From https://www.sasolbirds.co.za/ I found this:

What's new in the 5th edition of Sasol Birds?
  • Scan and play bird calls using free downloadable app
  • 800 new illustrations for easy bird identification - with all-new raptor and seabird plates
  • Greatly enhanced bird plates with updated annotations differentiating features of the birds
  • Fresh input by two new expert authors
  • Comprehensively revised and reworked text reflecting most recent taxonomic changes and latest species records
  • Updated distribution maps showing the relative abundance and resident/migrant status
Overall it sounds like a fair revision. Considering the very modest price, I will grab the newer version at some point as well.

I'm having a lazy morning here with lovely sunshine, a few nice cups of tea, and nothing better to do than buy a few new bird apps, apparently. So I now have the new 5th edition SASOL app. My impressions after 5 minutes of browsing is that the app is much better, the new art is both better and the digitization of the art is much better. The app overall functions a bit better. Haven't looked in any details yet, but one thing jumps out: The seabird art is a massive upgrade. I'll grab some screenshots of both the 4th edition app and 5th edition app to illustrate, and post here shortly.

4th edition SASOL app art for Black-bellied Storm-Petrel, White-bellied Storm-Petrel, Jouanin's Petrel, and Soft-plumaged Petrel

Attachments

• IMG_2462.jpeg
    IMG_2462.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2463.jpeg
    IMG_2463.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2464.jpeg
    IMG_2464.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2465.jpeg
    IMG_2465.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 33
5th edition SASOL app art for Black-bellied Storm-Petrel, White-bellied Storm-Petrel, Jouanin's Petrel, and Soft-plumaged Petrel

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpeg
    IMG_2466.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2467.jpeg
    IMG_2467.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2468.jpeg
    IMG_2468.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2469.jpeg
    IMG_2469.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 42
I've used the app for 5 minutes and am convinced, I'll be giving away my 4th edition book here and buying the 5th edition in when I'm in Europe.

Thanks for this, sounds well worth buying to me.
Same for me now that I have read the 10000birds review. And with Alan Harris as one of the new illustrators, I'll need to get it just to enjoy a recent sample of his art. I have a few of his originals from earlier books framed and now gracing the walls here.

I notice there are three printed versions out now. One a larger one, but two regular ones that both say "paperback"? Looks like the cheaper one of these has a PVC cover that protects it a bit from water. Does someone have some experience with such covers? I hesitate a bit, not least because of environmental concerns regarding PVC.

Last edited:
5th edition SASOL app art for Black-bellied Storm-Petrel, White-bellied Storm-Petrel, Jouanin's Petrel, and Soft-plumaged Petrel

Thanks very much for these samples. Superb, especially when enlarged! Could you please also add some of the raptors done by Alan Harris? No need to show the 4th edition version as I already know those.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for these samples. Superb, especially when enlarged! Could you please also add some of the raptors done by Alan Harris? No need to show the 4th edition version as I already know those.

When I’m back home this afternoon and can reduce the size of the screen shots to fit in the forum software size restrictions I’ll upload a selection.

Here's a sampling of raptor plates: Martial Eagle, Booted Eagle, African Hawk-Eagle, Jackal Buzzard (flight), Common Buzzard (perched)

Attachments

• IMG_2487.jpeg
    IMG_2487.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2488.jpeg
    IMG_2488.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2490.jpeg
    IMG_2490.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2491.jpeg
    IMG_2491.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 68
Here's a sampling of raptor plates: Martial Eagle, Booted Eagle, African Hawk-Eagle, Jackal Buzzard (flight), Common Buzzard (perched)
Thank you very much! Looks like I'll order the larger version of the book!

I might very well get the app as well at some later point in time. Love those enlarged illustrations.

Thank you very much! Looks like I'll order the larger version of the book!

Just tried to order from BookDepository, they say they can't ship to Switzerland at the moment. Wonder whether it's Corona or Brexit that are causing problems. :unsure::(

And Amazon.de say the book has not been published yet!! What a crazy world.

Yet
Just tried to order from BookDepository, they say they can't ship to Switzerland at the moment. Wonder whether it's Corona or Brexit that are causing problems. :unsure::(

And Amazon.de say the book has not been published yet!! What a crazy world.
Yet mine will be delivered today :)

The bar codes to access calls through the 'app', will probably be popular and they're very discreet compared to the QR codes in the Lynx books.

Not knowing anything about such functions, I'm wondering how easy they would be to scan with a tablet as opposed to a phone?

My understanding is that you download an app and then when you scan a bar code, it starts the audio playing - is that correct? If so, I would agree that is both a more discreet way to integrate something into a book, and a more useful function as well.

My understanding is that you download an app and then when you scan a bar code, it starts the audio playing - is that correct? If so, I would agree that is both a more discreet way to integrate something into a book, and a more useful function as well.
I believe this is correct but what do you scan it with, have you got to buy a bar code scanner, do you do it with the 'app'. If the latter, my point was that it may not be easy with an app on a tablet, with the bar codes being so close together?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back