• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scientific name of Common Bush Tanager (7 Viewers)

Howell and Web in their Mexico book make the separation in the Isthmus of Mexico, and this also is followed in the bird listing program that I use. Therefore, the eastern end of Mexico would be Central America and the rest of Mexico North America according to that definition.

Obviously AOU really do not separate like that, their checklist committees are only two, one for Central + North, one for South America.

Niels

By "Isthmus of Mexico" do you mean the Isthmus of Tehuantepec? The Isthmus of Tehuantepec is indeed sometimes used by biogeographers to delineate the northern end of Central America. I don't see this mentioned in Howell and Webb, though. Can you point me to where you see that?

Central America is part of North America. That's why it's called, simply, the "North American Checklist Committee". I am aware of no widely-accepted definitions of North America which do not include Central America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

Last edited:
By "Isthmus of Mexico" do you mean the Isthmus of Tehuantepec? The Isthmus of Tehuantepec is indeed sometimes used by biogeographers to delineate the northern end of Central America. I don't see this mentioned in Howell and Webb, though. Can you point me to where you see that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

Sorry it took so long to get back. It has been many years since last I read the introduction of H&W, and you are right: Even though the Isthmus of Tehuantepec is mentioned repeatedly as an important biogeographic boundary, they actually do not explicitly state that as a limit of North versus Central America. My bad.

Niels

Sosa-López et al 2013

A series of recent papers have demonstrated that this genus is in need of taxonomic re-arrangement, largely involving splitting of some parts of the widespread, morphologically diverse "ophthalmicus" (the subject of this proposal). Molecular studies show deep structural divisions within Chlorospingus ophthalmicus populations on different mountain ranges which frequently track the morphological and vocal differences alluded to in other papers (Sanchez-Gonzalez et al. 2006, Bonnarsco et al. 2008, Weir et al. 2008: linked below). Some South American populations of ophthalmicus are more closely related to other species than to conspecifics. There are further vocal and behavioural differences between unsampled populations (Cadena et al. 2006). There has been no sampling in published molecular work as regards Colombia in particular, where this group gets really interesting, but the study Gary Stiles mentions will remedy this gap. Species limits seem likely soon to result in restricting ophthalmicus so as not to be conspecific with flavopectus, and making this proposal redundant. Priority is only an issue to the extent that ophthalmicus and flavopectus are considered conspecific.
I'd like to encourage widespread prevarication in adopting this change in the interim!

Bonnarsco, E., Navarro-Siguenza, A.G., Sanchez-Gonzalez, A. & Peterson, T & Garcia-Moreno, 2008 J. Genetic differentiation of the Chlorospingus ophthalmicus complex in Mexico and Central America. J Avian Biol. 39: 311-321. http://200.31.31.2/Recursos/publicaciones/Cientifica/Bonaccorso et al (2008) - Chlorospingus.pdf

Cadena, D.C., Cordoba-Cordoba, S., Londono, G.A., Calderon-F., D., Martin, T.E. & Baptiste, M. P. 2007. Nesting and singing behaviour of Common Bush-Tanagers (Chlorospingus ophthalmicus) in South America. Orn. Col. 5: 54-63. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/ordwaylab/londono/pdf/Cadenaetal2007.pdf

Sanchez-Gonzalez, L. A., Navarro-Siguenza, A. G., Peterson, T.. & Garcia-Moreno, J. 2007. Taxonomy of Chlorospingus ophthalmicus in Mexico and northern Central America. Bull BOC 127(1): 34-48

Weir, J.T., Bermingham, E., Miller, M., Klicka, J. & gonzalez, M. A. 2008. Phylogeography of a morphologically diverse Neotroipical montane species, the Common Bush-Tanager (Chlorospingus opthalmicus). Mol. Phyl. Evol. 650-664. http://www.stri.si.edu/sites/publications/PDFs/2008_Weir_etalwBermingham.pdf
Sosa-López, González & Navarro-Sigüenza 2013. Vocal geographic variation in Mesoamerican Common Bush Tanagers (Chlorospingus ophthalmicus). Wilson J Ornithol 125(1): 24–33. [abstract]

Sánchez-González et al 2007:
  • Chlorospingus (ophthalmicus) ophthalmicus - Brown-headed Bush Tanager
  • Chlorospingus (ophthalmicus) wetmorei - Wetmore's Bush Tanager
  • Chlorospingus (ophthalmicus) albifrons - White-fronted Bush Tanager (incl 'persimilis')
  • Chlorospingus (ophthalmicus) dwighti - Dwight's Bush Tanager
  • Chlorospingus (ophthalmicus) postocularis - Dusky-headed Bush Tanager (incl honduratius)
Bonaccorso et al 2008 additionally suggests the treatment of C (o) honduratius and C (o) novicius (incl regionalis?) as evolutionary species.

Hilty 2011 (HBW 16).

Last edited:
Sosa-López et al 2013 pdf

Sosa-López, González & Navarro-Sigüenza 2013. Vocal geographic variation in Mesoamerican Common Bush Tanagers (Chlorospingus ophthalmicus). Wilson J Ornithol 125(1): 24–33. [abstract]
Sosa-López et al 2013. [pdf download]

Forthcoming...
Avendaño, Stiles & Cadena (in revision). A new subspecies of Common Bush-tanager (Chlorospingus ophthalmicus, Emberizidae) from the east slope of the Andes of Colombia. Ornitología Colombiana.

Weir et al 2008

Weir, J.T., Bermingham, E., Miller, M., Klicka, J. & gonzalez, M. A. 2008. Phylogeography of a morphologically diverse Neotroipical montane species, the Common Bush-Tanager (Chlorospingus opthalmicus). Mol. Phyl. Evol. 650-664.
http://www.stri.si.edu/sites/publications/PDFs/2008_Weir_etalwBermingham.pdf
On NEOORN today...
[NEOORN-L] Common Bush-Tanager Chlorospingus flavopectus (was ophthalmicus)

Hi Friends,
I have examined carefully the paper by Weir,Bermingham,Miller,Klicka & Gonsález,2008, Phylogeography of a morphologically diverse Neotropical montane species, the Common Bush-Tanager (Chlorospingus ophthalmicus) Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution,47: 650–664.
I think that they prove beyond any doubt that the Common Bush-Tanger should be broken up into 8 species.
...go to my website and enter Chlorospingus as the search term. Don't forget to click on citations for each of the splits because its there you will find the explanations.
Briefly, the new analysis is a follows:
Chlorospingus ophthalmicus (monotypic)
Chlorospingus dwighti
Chlorospingus albifrons
Chlorospingus wetmorei
Chlorospingus punctulatus (including regionalis and novicius)
Chlorospingus postocularis(including honduratius)
Chlorospingus flavopectus (including jacqueti,eminens,trudis,exitelus,ponsi,nigriceps,macarenae,falconensis,venezuelanus, peruvianus,fulvigularis,bolivianus and argentinus)
Chlorospingus cinereocephalus
Chlorospingus inornatus
Chlorospingus phaeocephalus
Go to my website http://www.worldbirdinfo.net
And don't forget to tlcik on citations to get the evidence.
Thanks,

Dr John Penhallurick
email:jpenhall AT bigpond.net.au
[See also TiF: www.jboyd.net/Taxo/List30.html#passerellidae.]

Last edited:

Good photos of almost all the Colombian Common bush-tanager races. Nice to see dark eyed C. f.flavopectus that is mistaken for C.canigularis regularly. Especially in Chicaque Natural Park that birder watchers regularly visit. Just see page 78 in Handbook of the Birds of the World 16. A misidentification so common that it gave rise to claim that C.canigularis sometimes can have all dark beak!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back