• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope-Camera compatibility (1 Viewer)

Mikejenk

To get a feel for digiscoping, I am planning to buy a fairly inexpensive camera to use with my cheap but adequate Kenko pro 70 scope. As the scope and accessories only cost £280, it doesn't merit the cash for a Nikon 4500.

I was wondering wether there are means to estabish compatability between a camera and scope in the store (I plan to take my scope with me) or wether this can only be tested in the field and through viewing the photographs?

I assume I would at least be able to check that the camera lens fits the eye-piece of the scope. I would be grateful for any information on other steps which I can take to help me choose an appropriate camera.

It seems from this forum, that if you don't opt for something from the coolpix range, you risk wasting your money. Has anyone had any positive experiences with budget cameras (other than Nikon) ?

Many Camera's will work!. I use a Canon Powershot A80 and handhold it to the lens. What seem to happen is that if you have a camera with a large lens assembly you get more vognetting than normal, Vignetting is fairly normal and its normally lessened or removed completely by zooming the camera.
Put the camera to the eyepiece of your scope and see if you get an image on the LCD. Try zooming the optical zoom to see if it improves.
Ignore Digital zoom, its a gimmick as far as digiscopings concerned, well, as far as most things are concered!.

HTH

Alan

Mikejenk said:
I was wondering wether there are means to estabish compatability between a camera and scope in the store (I plan to take my scope with me) or wether this can only be tested in the field and through viewing the photographs?

I assume I would at least be able to check that the camera lens fits the eye-piece of the scope. I would be grateful for any information on other steps which I can take to help me choose an appropriate camera.

It seems from this forum, that if you don't opt for something from the coolpix range, you risk wasting your money. Has anyone had any positive experiences with budget cameras (other than Nikon) ?

I'm not sure I agree with your approach. If you end up pursuing digiscoping further, you will probably be replacing all of your equipment. In the end, that seems fairly expensive.

It is also more expensive to experiment. Even if you are frugal. Though there are other rewards to experimenting.

Its a Nikon, but I've heard good things about the CP4300 which is relatively inexpensive. I've had a brief experience testing it and the quality seemed top notch. Its just not as convenient to use.

I'm very wary of inexpensive refractors and especially inexpensive refractors with inexpensive zoom eyepieces. At the very least make sure you use the fixed focal length eyepiece. It is also a plus if the Kenko will accept statndard 1.25" eyepieces. That could simplify your task of getting the seldom used scope to the camera because it opens the window to some eyepieces made for digiscoping that you might be able to use on a future scope. The eyepiece, BTW, is more important to digiscoping compatibility than the scope. You typically want at least 18mm of eye relief (a bit more is almost always better) and a moderately wide AFOV.

If you are buying both items new from a store, they might allow you to mount thescope on a tripod and perhaps handhold the cameras to the eyepiece to test how well they will work.

Another inexpensive approach to consider is to purchase used equipment. I suspect a used CP990 and a used middle brand scope with the "good" glass would probably cost you only a bit more but deliver superior performance.

I have discovered that Kenko produce an adapter which takes a CP 990 so your advice to purhase a second hand model will hopefully lead to a less risky and cost effective solution.

Thank yo both for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back