• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland, estuary, wading bird. (2 Viewers)

curlewsandpiper1980

Date: 20 July, mid afternoon

A flock of waders which was previously dispersed and running around the mud flats at low tide, picking food, and lather quickly gathered as 3 flocks and one of those flocks was captured standing by the water line.

Head seems to be darker, as well as back and tail. Long legs, orange legs.
Bill long, but not curved.

The area has also many oystercatchers and a few curlew (those yes, with a very long bill curved downwards and a beautiful speckled back).

The area is also known for bar tailed godwits, redshank, sandpipers, red necked phalarope, sanderlings, dunlins, golden plovers, and other waders.

Sorry for the quality. The flock was far away and the picture was taken through a small public telescope.
Could not hear any sound, but as said, the flock was quite at a distance.

I suspect it's a redshank because of the red legs (but it might also be bar tailed godwits or sanderlings). And I think I might have spotted also a few dunlins or sanderlings, and sandpipers.
But I am just beginning to study waders.

Thanks,

Attachments

• WP_20200720_17_05_45_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20200720_17_05_45_Pro (2).jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back