• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scythebill - extended taxonomies (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi,

I am using Scythebill to keep my bird lists. Now I am starting to also import other sightings. For mammals it was quite easy using the Mammals of the World taxonomy by mammalwatching.com. For Reptiles there is one available covering the World and for Odonata and Butterflies there are taxonomies available covering Europe so I guess I will use those.
That leaves Orthoptera, Moths and Amphibians where I started keeping lists and want to add them but there is no taxonomy for Scythebill (or for Moths at least no taxonomy covering Central Europe or Germany).

I build my own taxonomy for the European herpetofauna (based on Species list of the European herpetofauna – 2020 update) which was not too much work but doing this for over 1000 European Orthoptera species or even more Moth species is something I don't have the time to do at the moment (and tbh doesn't sound like fun).
I guess I could start with the csv for European Lepidoptera from lepiforum.org but this would also take some to time to format it in a way to work with Scythebill (at least with my limited csv transforming skills). Another option would be to just use taxonomy for Britain and Ireland but I am not sure how much difference there is (just getting started with moths). Has anyone Orthoptera and European moths taxonomies for Scythebill he could share? Any other ideas what could be a good way without too much manual work?

My herpetofauna taxonomy file is currently still missing subspecies which I plan to add at some point in the next weeks. Once this is done done I will share it for everyone to use.

I've not heard of any such taxonomies - if I had, they'd probably be up on the site for downloading.

I'd certainly recommend starting from a .csv, though if it's not in a decent format it really is rather a lot of work. If you point me at a .csv, I could perhaps look at writing the code to transform it into a Scythebill expected format, which is much easier than doing it by hand. I did that for the Mammals of the World checklist.

If you point me at a .csv, I could perhaps look at writing the code to transform it into a Scythebill expected format, which is much easier than doing it by hand.
Thanks for that offer. Here is the link to the csv of European butterflies and moths Lepiforum's Checklist of European Lepidoptera . If you manage to transform it into a Scythebill taxonomy that would be amazing.

And thank you for developing and maintaining Scythebill!

Thanks for that offer. Here is the link to the csv of European butterflies and moths Lepiforum's Checklist of European Lepidoptera . If you manage to transform it into a Scythebill taxonomy that would be amazing.

And thank you for developing and maintaining Scythebill!
One thing I would need: permission to redistribute. It's a German language website, so I'm not of much use obtaining it. Could you do so?

(I'm assuming that this site only has German names, not English names?)

One thing I would need: permission to redistribute. It's a German language website, so I'm not of much use obtaining it. Could you do so?
yes, of course I can ask for permission. I will notify you once I receive their permission

I'm assuming that this site only has German names, not English names?
Yes, only German common names (and there are a lot of European butterflies which don’t have German names) are included. But I would suggest to leave out the German common names from the taxonomy (or maybe only add them as alternate common names) as they won‘t help for people outside of Germany. And from my experience those interested in butterflies (or insects in general) tend to use scientific names anyway

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back