• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Arizona in October (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi all,
I am going to AE Arizona for about 10 days starting October 11. I have Taylors guide to the area (copyright 2005), and one of the tricky things about it is that it mentions birds mostly in summer and winter, but not really in between. It is my impression that for some species, mid october might still be more like summer than winter. Therefore, one question is, which location will have birds mostly like summer when we arrive? In other words, where should we start? The Patton's hummingbird feeders, or what?

Another question especially for hummers, what time of day is best for variety at the feeders? early morning or more mid day when everything is a little more awake?

Re. trogon and quetzal, I guess the luck has to be really big for the latter. What is the best site for trogon in October?

I will be looking at the Az/NM mailing list site until I leave, but even so, would like to hear if anyone have any predictions.

thanks
Niels

Niels, you should post your query on the AZ/NM listserve as well. You'll get a lot of response and probably even offers to take you around. I wish I knew that area better but have only birded there once, if you can believe that, and that was in winter (February 2003). Have you also checked out the United States State Archives (Arizona) here? I've posted lots of URLs you can check out for info, and I know other BF members have posted trip reports there.

Look forward to hearing about your trip when you return! :t: Wish I could join you! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back