• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea bird - Angus coast - Scotland (1 Viewer)

A helpful thing is that in the video the bird flaps its wings. Common Scoter do a very distinctive wing flap, where they jerk their head down and then up. You can see an example in this video:

Andrew thanks for that. I think that clears it up. I had also gone with a Scoter originally, but the wing flap in my clips does not have those characteristics.

Thanks everyone, and my apologies as I appear to have posted this query before. The clip was sent to me by my daughter and answered as a female eider. I found the Whatsapp video again today, the file name suggested it needed to be identified.
Once again thanks for your time.

A helpful thing is that in the video the bird flaps its wings. Common Scoter do a very distinctive wing flap, where they jerk their head down and then up. You can see an example in this video:

Well... he's not read the instruction manual ;)

Thanks Andrew... never knew that. As you say... very distinctive!

Is that unique to the Common, or does the White-winged do it too?

Thanks everyone, and my apologies as I appear to have posted this query before. The clip was sent to me by my daughter and answered as a female eider. I found the Whatsapp video again today, the file name suggested it needed to be identified.
Once again thanks for your time.
No problems Wimpy... I'd not seen it before and learnt something new today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back