• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Searching for the European Roller in Italy (1 Viewer)

wary_cassowary

Artist and Amateur Avian Aficionado
United States
Hello! This is my first time posting to this forum, I'm excited to become a part of this community.

I will be studying abroad in Orvieto, Italy from March to June. I will be spending most of my time in class, but I have a list of "target" birds I would like to try and find in my free time. My number one most-wanted is the European Roller. I'm having trouble figuring out where to find them. I've been told that Orbatello or Grosseto is probably my best chance, but unfortunately, those are a little too far away from anywhere I'll be traveling.

I'll be spending most of my time in Orvieto, but after classes end in June I will be traveling to Mugnanese (specifically Lago Trasimeno), Florence, Rome, Cinque Terre, and Venice. Could anyone recommend places I could look for the Roller near any of these destinations?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kylee

Hello Kylee. Rollers shouldn't be too difficult. You don't need to go the coast and tbh I can't remember seeing any between Grosseto and Orbetello, but we do have them here in the Val d'Orcia area. Will you have a car? Anyway drop me a PM and we can arrange something.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back