• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking help with bird ID, northeastern VT, USA (1 Viewer)

allieinvt

United States
Hi there,

I’m looking for help identifying a bird that has been frequenting my feeders for the past month. I live in northeastern Vermont and have never seen another like it before.
The bird is about the size of a robin and similar in shape, which makes me think it’s a type of thrush. It is mostly a dark gray with a striking orange throat chest, that transitions to a mottled white and brown underbelly. There is also a noticeable stripe across the eyes. I’ve attached photos, although they’re not the best quality.
My best guess is that it’s a female or juvenile varied thrush. From what I’ve read, Vermont is outside of its usual area. However, I first noticed it after a winter storm system blew in from the west, so my thought is maybe it got carried along. Anyway, any help would be most appreciated
Thank you!

62F60B50-EE6A-4CEE-8DBB-6483E8B81F79.jpegA6CF86D7-334E-4BB0-80BA-82DE0A430EF4.jpegB3C1FB8E-27BC-4B99-846B-A1BC28BAB760.jpeg12E1A2AA-A472-401B-AF7E-55721085A817.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum, allie. That is one nice Varied Thrush you have in Vermont. For what it's worth, the first Varied Thrush I ever saw was when I was visiting Massachusetts some 17 years ago.

A lovely image of this Varied Thrush Andrew and I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

A terrific find!, might it be a “variant” ie showing a white supercillium and wing bars, these are normally orange as is the breast, I wonder what gender it might be?👍

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back