• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several birds from Tajikistan (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
These were all seen between 2,300m and 3,600m asl in the Yaghnob valley.

1,2. Two photos of the same bird in the same posture. I'm thinking Greater Whitethroat, but its wings don't seem very rusty.

3. Maybe also a Greater Whitethroat? The wings on this one actually do look rufous to me.

4. Buntings are hard...Rock and White-capped were the most common in the area but this one makes me think Pine.

5-10. Subadult Penduline Tits (there was a flock of them), but are they Eurasian or White-crowned? White-crowned seems more likely based on range, but range maps and data for Tajikistan all seem pretty scant.

11-16. Subadult griffons are giving me fits. I'm leaning Himalayan, but I'm not positive and I don't know if Eurasian might be mixed in as well or not.

Attachments

• DSCN8209 (2).JPG
    DSCN8209 (2).JPG
    856.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN8211 (2).JPG
    DSCN8211 (2).JPG
    816.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN8221 (2).JPG
    DSCN8221 (2).JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN8228 (2).JPG
    DSCN8228 (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • DSCN8244 (2).JPG
    DSCN8244 (2).JPG
    972.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN8248.JPG
    DSCN8248.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 73
  • DSCN8252 (2).JPG
    DSCN8252 (2).JPG
    769.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN8253 (2).JPG
    DSCN8253 (2).JPG
    671.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN8255 (2).JPG
    DSCN8255 (2).JPG
    598.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN8262 (2).JPG
    DSCN8262 (2).JPG
    960.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN8496 (2).JPG
    DSCN8496 (2).JPG
    405.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN8498 (2).JPG
    DSCN8498 (2).JPG
    549 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN8499 (2).JPG
    DSCN8499 (2).JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN8502 (2).JPG
    DSCN8502 (2).JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN8517 (2).JPG
    DSCN8517 (2).JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN8521 (2).JPG
    DSCN8521 (2).JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 77
Firstly, I have to say that I have never been to Tajikistan, however I have watched the Uzbek side of the same range and my thoughts are a based upon this. I thought I would put down a few comments as this post seems to have been ignored. It would have been useful of the date had been included - August?

The tertial pattern suggests that this is a Common Whitethroat, and I cant think of anything else that could fit. Odd as I would expected one of the Lesser Whitethroats at this habitat/elevation.

White-crowned Penduline tit is my thought. They occur remarkably high in the mountain streams in Uzbekistan, whilst the Eurasian seem to be a bird of the lowlands and very scarce.

In terms of the vultures - both Himalayan and Eurasian Griffons occur side by side across the border, and I could say that 98 seems to me to be too dark on the upper forewing to be Himalayan, but conversely 521 seems to be too white for Eurasian. In the field, they can be tricky and normally need a mix of views to confirm

Is this the only photo of the bunting?
The warblers are Common Whitethroats. Can't help with the Penduline Tit and vultures...

Firstly, I have to say that I have never been to Tajikistan, however I have watched the Uzbek side of the same range and my thoughts are a based upon this. I thought I would put down a few comments as this post seems to have been ignored. It would have been useful of the date had been included - August?

The tertial pattern suggests that this is a Common Whitethroat, and I cant think of anything else that could fit. Odd as I would expected one of the Lesser Whitethroats at this habitat/elevation.

White-crowned Penduline tit is my thought. They occur remarkably high in the mountain streams in Uzbekistan, whilst the Eurasian seem to be a bird of the lowlands and very scarce.

In terms of the vultures - both Himalayan and Eurasian Griffons occur side by side across the border, and I could say that 98 seems to me to be too dark on the upper forewing to be Himalayan, but conversely 521 seems to be too white for Eurasian. In the field, they can be tricky and normally need a mix of views to confirm
🤦‍♂️ Sorry for forgetting the date! Yes, all photos are from August, last week.

Thanks for the input. Everything you said makes good sense and lets me know I'm thinking along the right lines.

The warblers are Common Whitethroats. Can't help with the Penduline Tit and vultures...
4 A tricky angle but looks like a juvenile Rock, the combination of developing dark rear border to lower ear coverts + rufous fringes to remiges and retrices would seem to confirm, wrong for White-capped.

Grahame

The warblers are Common Whitethroats. Can't help with the Penduline Tit and vultures..
Unfortunately yes. I agree with Grahame's assessment of Rock Bunting; they were the most common one I saw around that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back