• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shawell Tip (1 Viewer)

I would add that strictly speaking it is illegal to park on the verges of the A5 or until beyond the clearway sign on Newton Lane. This is from a retired police traffic inspector.
And I would reinforce what Neil says about the road being dangerous - watch out for the drafts from big lorries. I go on Saturdays when there is a bit less traffic.

Steve

Where do you recommend parking Steve, Newton Lane??

Oh and well done with the gulls this weekend

Where do you recommend parking Steve, Newton Lane??

Oh and well done with the gulls this weekend

Safely on Newton Lane then walk with great care to the viewing point on the A5. You might like to check that your life insurance is up to date prior to undertaking this venture ;)

Myself and Carl had a 2nd winter Caspian Gull and an adult Yellow-legged Gull on the A5 lagoons this morning/early afternoon and somebody else also reported 2 Caspian Gulls ( Adult and 2 w) earlier in the morning.

Cheers,
Dave.

Myself and Carl had a 2nd winter Caspian Gull and an adult Yellow-legged Gull on the A5 lagoons this morning/early afternoon and somebody else also reported 2 Caspian Gulls ( Adult and 2 w) earlier in the morning.

Cheers,
Dave.

'twas me Dave, from the other vantage point overlooking both lagoons. cheers, Neil

Last edited:
Guys

Had an appointment last night in rugby that finished early so parked up in Newton lane and had a look I crossed over and found a gate that leads you along a footpath, which goes around the silt pool. Still loads of Gulls around, nothing out of the ordinary though.

I did not come across a specific viewing area, are these accesable from the footpaths or should I have walked down the A5 a little??

Next question is I went down the A5 around another 1/2 mile and took a right turn, I looked to the left and saw another series of pools etc, which I have later discovered rto be called clifton lakes. Are these accesable or are they private??

Hi Astley,

Yes you should have walked up the A5 a little until you came to an obvious path through the hedge to the viewing point. When I say obvious you do have to look for it. There are two other viewing points as you continue along the A5 which overlook both lagoons.

As always be very careful walking along the A5 at this point as it is very dangerous when it is busy.

I'm not sure about access to the other lakes.

Cheers,
Carl.

Shawell Update

Hi All,

I've made a few visits to the Shawell A5 Lagoons this month and was surprised to find up to 300 gulls there. Mostly LBB Gulls, but up to 18 Herring and a few Yellow-legged Gulls. Amongst them, on two occasions now, was a gull which was almost certainly a hybrid. It seemed to show features of both Caspian and Yellow-legged Gull. I have posted pictures and a short video on my blog in case anyone would like to have a look at it (link below). Comments are welcomed.

Amongst the LBB Gulls I managed to read a few rings, mostly British ringed but also Dutch and Portuguese.
http://bagawildone.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/interesting-gull-at-shawell-a5-lagoons.html

Amongst them, on two occasions now, was a gull which was almost certainly a hybrid. It seemed to show features of both Caspian and Yellow-legged Gull. I have posted pictures and a short video on my blog in case anyone would like to have a look at it (link below). Comments are welcomed.

Hi Carl

Yes that's what it looks like to me. Large head, bull necked and hatchet bill but long wings and very much Caspo legs.

On the subject of the numbers. As you probably know LBBG's and probably some Herring are breeding at Scudamore Rd and most days I see LBBG's heading from that direction S/SE over Whetstone very purposefully apparently looking for food. They would get to Shawell in no time from here. I assume other colonies will be at other sites and perhaps round Rugby & Coventry?

As well as being a gull hotspot Shawell A5 Lagoons are attracting waders at present. I've seen two Turnstones and two Black-tailed Godwits recently, which are good local birds. The Black-necked Grebe there in July was also impressive.

A word of warning, however, please only watch from the cleared bits in the hedge along the A5. I recently witnessed a birder trespass and stand on the bank between the two lagoons. The result of this was to flush all the gulls and most of the ducks. I gave him a round of applause and a few choice words but he pretended to be deaf.

There are good numbers of LBB Gull at present and amongst them are at least 20 Yellow-legged Gulls and I had my first Caspian Gull since April about a week ago.

Cheers,
Carl.

anyone dropped in here lately??

Looks like ........NO...he he.

I look through all the midlands threads and some further afield and cannot believe the lack of interest...especially in areas where there are loads of brill places to visit.

Mind you I only found these forums in a roundabout way so maybe people do not know where to go to to find these forums.

My local ones are Worcestershire and West Mids and as well as keeping in touch with other birders it throws up loads of great local info.

Keith :t:

Hi Everyone,

Shawell is still attracting thousands of gulls, but few birders. At present there is an influx of gulls from Scandinavian countries. This I know because I've recently read some colour-rings of gulls that spend their summer in either Norway or Denmark. I have seen more colour-ringed Herring Gulls lately than is normal. One had paid a visit to Vardo at the top of Norway during the summer of 2012. Herring Gulls have been the most numerous of the large gulls lately, but numbers of Lesser-Black-backed Gulls had built up noticeably on Wednesday of this week.

Yellow-legged Gulls are seen in small numbers during every visit and Caspian Gulls can be seen fairly often but not every time. I've seen somewhere close to forty different Caspian Gulls this year.

Hopefully the first 'white-winger' of the winter will appear soon.

Cheers,
Carl.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back