• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shocking Amur Falcon Massacre in Nagaland, India (4 Viewers)

People are created in the image of God. We have souls that will last for eternity, either in heaven or hell. Nature itself proves that we are made in the image of God because we are capable of rational thought, birds and other animals aren't, they do things through instinct. They operate on instinct while we think our way through matters. As a Christian I believe that one human soul is more important than the lives of billions of birds because we will live into eternity and will either be in the torments of hell or the joys of heaven, they won't.

Have you been on the funny fags? ;)

People are created in the image of God. We have souls that will last for eternity, either in heaven or hell. Nature itself proves that we are made in the image of God because we are capable of rational thought, birds and other animals aren't, they do things through instinct. They operate on instinct while we think our way through matters. As a Christian I believe that one human soul is more important than the lives of billions of birds because we will live into eternity and will either be in the torments of hell or the joys of heaven, they won't.

That's a horrible belief to have. That billions of birds are basically worthless.

And everything was put on this planet to be used by us as we see fit??? :eek!:

We are only animals too, and we are supposed to be able to think.

When we are endangered I might worry about the value of human life but as long as there are 7 billion people on the planet carrying out these kinds of atrocities I'd say the wildlife comes first.

Yes...But not before condoms! ;)

Please sign a petition:

https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/please-stop-amur-falcon-massacre-in-nagaland-india

120,000-140,000 birds are estimated to be killed every year at this largest congregation anywhere in the world.

Dear all,

One of our satellite-tracked Amur Falcons, an adult female, was fitted with a 5g tag in early January 2010 in South Africa. This spring it was tracked for the third time over the Indian Ocean to its breeding grounds some 470 kms west of Peking in China. It left the area during the first half of October to arrive on 4 November at Doyang reservoir in eastern India, now world famous for the slaughter of theses small falcons - see

http://www.conservationindia.org/campaigns/amur-massacre

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/channel/newsitem.asp?c=11&cate=__! 13205

http://www.birdlife.org/community/2012/11/help-required-to-end-hunting-massacre-in-nagaland-india/

120,000-140,000 birds are estimated to be killed every year at this largest congregation anywhere in the world.

Please sign a petition:

https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/please-stop-amur-falcon-massacre-in-nagaland-india

Our bird had already visited the area last autumn.

We had again anxious days. Would the female survive? Finally on 14 November she left the area to start crossing the Indian Ocean on 17 November some 400 kms south of Mumbai (Bombay). This is further south than in the previous years.

We just received the last fix for 20 November 6.47 h (GMT), when she was only 240 kms from the coast of Somali! a in East Africa. Two years ago she arrived in Somalia on 21 November and on 22 November in 2011. The crossing of the ocean occurs considerably further south this year.

After almost three years, this falcon must be the world champion as for long-term satellite tracking of a small bird with a 5 g PTT.

Best wishes,

Bernd Meyburg
Christiane Meyburg
Rina Pretorius

[email protected]
www.Raptor-Research.de

P.S.: We apologise for not always beeing able to respond to the requests we
receive regarding telemetry. We have to do ornithology in our very limited
spare time.

This is shocking! I belong to North East part of India ( Not Nagaland though), and I think these people need to be educated about conserving nature.

I think, these people do not know that killing these birds is not a good thing. Some campaigning is required by government, NGOs, nature lover groups to educate and motivate these people not to kill these birds.

I think that you are right, as far as that they are poor and need the money; we all should remember that they are only animals, human needs come first; a human life is more important than the life of billions of birds. But don't get me wrong, I think that conservation is very, very, very, important. Not only for the sake of the animals, it helps people too. We need to have a good balance between the needs of these two classes. I think that tourism is a good solution to the problem.

Hi Nbiser

Do something brave today. Buy this book and read it with an open mind.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Delusion-Richard-Dawkins/dp/0552774294

Sherpa

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back