• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I use a local company to book accomodation? (1 Viewer)

We have more or less decided on the itinerary for Colombia in January. Cali area for 5-6 nights then moving to Manizales for 3-4 nights. We will need an English -speaking guide and transport. My question now is, should we go ahead and book the accomodation directly then contact an independent guide or company to sort out the guide and transport elements or should we contact the guide/company first and get them to book everything? I'm happy to book accommodation directly if it saves some money but am thinking a package through a company might work out better value and have added benefits?
Thanks for any advice on this.

Last edited:
There are a zillion ways to do this, but it seems you are between:
1. booking accomodations and hiring a guide (separately)
2. contacting a guide / company and let them book accomodations so they offer you a package.

There are certain benefits to let one guide / company arrange logistics and guiding, but if that is worth the cost for you is your choice.
Maybe it's a wise thing to contact your preferred guide / local company first, and see what they offer. You'd probably have the opportunity to fine-tune the program / accomodation /... so it works for you.

Companies have to make a profit and so it will always cost more to book through them. I would hire a guide through a company but make the lodging reservations myself. With a guide I would specify the car that they will use as it is cheaper to do this than to rent a car and pay the high insurance rates for a gringo. Important to have air conditioning and adequate space for luggage in the trunk and for passengers.

Important to arrive 1-2 days early to avoid problems if a flight is delayed or your luggage gets mislaid. That give you up to 2 days to sort everything out before your guide arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back