• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrike for ID - West Bengal, India - Oct 2022 (1 Viewer)

Wondering if this Brown Shrike could be the Japanese ssp (Lanius cristatus superciliosus)?
For me, the OP looks like a typical nominate cristatus, the combination of warmer, rufous-toned cap and rump/utc's, narrow white supercilium and apparent reduced warm tones to underparts are compelling. Japanese Brown ssp. superciliosus is typified by more uniform intense rufous-toned upperparts i.e with little or no contrast in head and rump, a broad white supercilum including forehead and more saturated warm buff underparts with a white throat.

Japanese Brown has by far the most restricted range of the 4 taxa (S Sakhalin, C & N Japan) appears to be in serious decline, in Japan at least, as a result of habitat loss.
https://www.proquest.com/openview/3af59fe224b175fe2fa6edf9bb73c30e/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=13202#:~:text=One%20subspecies%2C%20L.,is%20currently%20unavailable%20in%20Japan.

Grahame

For me, the OP looks like a typical nominate cristatus, the combination of warmer, rufous-toned cap and rump/utc's, narrow white supercilium and apparent reduced warm tones to underparts are compelling. Japanese Brown ssp. superciliosus is typified by more uniform intense rufous-toned upperparts i.e with little or no contrast in head and rump, a broad white supercilum including forehead and more saturated warm buff underparts with a white throat.

Japanese Brown has by far the most restricted range of the 4 taxa (S Sakhalin, C & N Japan) appears to be in serious decline, in Japan at least, as a result of habitat loss.
https://www.proquest.com/openview/3af59fe224b175fe2fa6edf9bb73c30e/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=13202#:~:text=One%20subspecies%2C%20L.,is%20currently%20unavailable%20in%20Japan.

Grahame
Thanks Grahame. The Brown Shrikes I see in West Bengal are usually less rich in colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back