• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shutter speed (1 Viewer)

helenol

ExposureTime : 1/650Sec
FNumber : F4.0
ExposureProgram : Program Creative
ISOSpeedRatings : 50

Taken today, what shutter speed would I need to freezeframe this action shot?

1000th sec or faster?

Thanks.

Attachments

• dunnockflying.jpg
    dunnockflying.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 364
It's a little difficult to say, because I can't tell if the bird is at the top of its hop or going up or down from the highest point.

If the bird was at its peak position, then you could probably have gotten by with 1/250th of a second if you had panned with the bird's motion and not worried about keeping the background sharp instead. If at any other position in the hop-cycle, then 1/1000 to 1/2000 would have helped.

When trying to do stop-motion photography in less than idea lighting situations, don't be afraid to crank up that ISO to a tolerable level for your camera so you can use faster shutter speeds. Then use a noise-reduction tool later to remove the extra noise that higher ISO's impart. It's always a trade-off, but at least you would have been able to easily stop that motion blur. Also, you used a lens aperture of f/4.0, won't your lens open wider than that? It could have given you 1 or 2 shutter speeds higher at that same low-noise ISO.

Exposure problems

Hi Helen,
One of the main problems is that when you take a photo such as this one, being so close, the magnification is obviously great. Thus in order to avoid ANY signs of movement you will need a higher shutter speed than if you were say shooting a moving car. If you see what I mean!
In anyhting less than bright sunshine a fast shutter speed is generally difficult.
One way is to use flash, but this of course is not an easy option and you need a good flash gun such as a Metz or similar. Some of these will work up to 50 ft or so and will freeze most movement. I don't know if you can use a good flash on you camera though!
One good thing about MY Robins is that they know how to pose!!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Simon.

Thanks for the advice. But since I started this thread way back in April, I am the proud owner of a Canon 20D. The Olympus 750 shutter speed tops was 1000th/sec! Still, it's a good little camera though, and I'll be keeping it handy.

Regards

Hi Helen

If it`s any help I was told to try & get a shutter speed equal or above the size of your lens ie 400mm 1/400th shutter speed.The other solution is to crank up the ISO.

Cheers Steve.

stevo said:
Hi Helen

If it`s any help I was told to try & get a shutter speed equal or above the size of your lens ie 400mm 1/400th shutter speed.The other solution is to crank up the ISO.

Cheers Steve.

This is about right for normal shots of relatively still images (portraits, landscapes etc.), but to freeze action, the faster the better. I would always try to use 1/000th at 500mm, and then that probably wouldn't be enough! For a shot like that, i'd have gone to 1/2000th and upped the ISO to 200. Any little bit of noise is easily removed.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back