• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slimbridge (1 Viewer)

jeff

Can anyone give me any tips for Slimbridge WWT?

How to get the best out of the site, what parts to visit etc.

Never been before and I'd hate to miss anything.

TIA

Hi Jeff
Slimbridge is ace and not just in winter. I was lucky enough to have 2 weeks work experience there a few years back and had a whale of a time (whilst all my mates were stuck in some office placement ..hahaha). What's best to do depends on what time of year you're going. Was there a week back and it was good - if your after Whitefronts though be careful there's only hundereds rather than thousands and the best you'll get are distant from the Holden Hide. Every hide's good in winter though Holden walkway probably the best.
In summer, get to the river if you can (think its allowed to public now though not 100% - its out of bounds in winter though for sure).
Also, if you after peace and quiet avoid weekend afternoons, though morning should be ok, it's like dude city there sometimes.

Here's another tip Jeff - try early May, should be as good as anywhere in the country for waders then and there might be some rare southern stuff about. South Lake early morn and river/Holden area high tide should be good.
Special offers on WWT membership there for anyone as well if your not already a member, it does some great work - definitely a worthy cause.

Brendan T said:
Here's another tip Jeff - try early May, should be as good as anywhere in the country for waders then and there might be some rare southern stuff about. South Lake early morn and river/Holden area high tide should be good.
Special offers on WWT membership there for anyone as well if your not already a member, it does some great work - definitely a worthy cause.

Brendan,

Thanks for the info, i was hopeing to go this weekend (all being well) and get there for opening time 9.30am i believe. I'm told it'll take me all day to get round and as you say it gets busy in the afternoon.
Been looking on their website, white-fronted geese would be nice, so would the bewick swans, and the tundra bean goose (i have bean goose on my list for the year, but it's undecided whether it's taiga or tundra).
Spoonbill would have been nice too, but looks like it's gone, hopefully it'll reappear at the weekend.
I'll head for holden hide / holden walkway first then, before the crowds appear :)

Hide clamp I reckon. Spoonbill was on South Lake when I saw it last week. If the geese are as far out as they were then, picking up a Bean would be a no hoper so that might be tough. South Finger is pretty quiet if you want to escape the crowds, not sure how good it is in winter though. Nearby Frampton probably worth a look in. Sure you'll get Bewicks. Good luck!

Brendan T said:
Hide clamp I reckon. Spoonbill was on South Lake when I saw it last week. If the geese are as far out as they were then, picking up a Bean would be a no hoper so that might be tough. South Finger is pretty quiet if you want to escape the crowds, not sure how good it is in winter though. Nearby Frampton probably worth a look in. Sure you'll get Bewicks. Good luck!

Many thanks.

Roll on the weekend :)

Jeff,
White-fronts are down to just over 400 birds as at yesterday but no Bewick's have departed so there is about 170 at the afternoon feed on Rushy Pen. Don't leave it too late because if the weather changes to westerly or south westerly winds then the geese and swans will make a move. The Bean Goose appeared to depart just over a week ago with the first of the White-fronts and the Spoonbill only stayed 2 days. Nevertheless you never know what may turn up. Little Egrets are back in the area.

When you get to the information desk as you pay your money, there will be a daily diary on the desk - take a look - it is usually filled in before 9.30 by the warden doing the early rounds so you will be able to see where the geese are and the nearest hide for them. Bewick's can be seen down to 10 feet (wild ones) from the hide at the side of the telescope shop most of the day but best in the late afternoon - 3.00pm onwards. Try the commentated feed in the Peng Observatory at 4.00pm to round off the day. Unfortunately no 100,000 Starling roost now, they seem to have moved down the river to a nearby power station. Good Luck. I may be there on either Sat or Sun. I will have my name badge on my jacket so say hello if you spot me.

Colin said:
Jeff,
White-fronts are down to just over 400 birds as at yesterday but no Bewick's have departed so there is about 170 at the afternoon feed on Rushy Pen. Don't leave it too late because if the weather changes to westerly or south westerly winds then the geese and swans will make a move. The Bean Goose appeared to depart just over a week ago with the first of the White-fronts and the Spoonbill only stayed 2 days. Nevertheless you never know what may turn up. Little Egrets are back in the area.

When you get to the information desk as you pay your money, there will be a daily diary on the desk - take a look - it is usually filled in before 9.30 by the warden doing the early rounds so you will be able to see where the geese are and the nearest hide for them. Bewick's can be seen down to 10 feet (wild ones) from the hide at the side of the telescope shop most of the day but best in the late afternoon - 3.00pm onwards. Try the commentated feed in the Peng Observatory at 4.00pm to round off the day. Unfortunately no 100,000 Starling roost now, they seem to have moved down the river to a nearby power station. Good Luck. I may be there on either Sat or Sun. I will have my name badge on my jacket so say hello if you spot me.

Colin,

Thanks, I'll keep my eye on the website and the pager sightings, but will also check in the book when i get there.
Sounds like it should be a good day.
If i see anyone with a name badge of 'Colin' i'll say hello :)
It looks like it gonna be Sunday, hopefully all those geese and swans will wait around until then.

Sorry never seen anyone with a 'Colin' name badge.

Smew, Goldeneye, Eider, Snow Geese, Barnacle Geese, Chiloe Wigeon, Red- breasted Goose...... an just a few feet from the door, must be a wildfowl collection ;-)

Only Tundra Swan for me then, all the White-fronted geese had gone :-( , unless i count the birds in the collections ;-)

At least i know bird stuff is sinking in finally (good old bird course).......
a friend of mine saw a wader, i looked and though it was a ruff. I mentioned this to one a the chaps in the hide, we walked round to the next hide to get a better view, waited a few minutes until it came out from behind the trees, yep still ruff in my opinion, my friend thought redshank, the knowledgable regular from the other hide confirmed it was indeed a Ruff, this was a first for my friend, I wonder how many times my friend had seen ruff and ticked it off as redshank?

Certainly a nice place, but as you say it doesn't half get busy as the day goes on.

I'll be back (as Arnie used to say)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back