• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slow Card Reader (1 Viewer)

Roy C said:
UPDATE.
I have now purchased an external USB2 Reader for £7.99 - work fine. It is worth this to me not to be without my PC for up to two weeks.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

Roy C.
Hi Roy

If the new external USB2 device works ok, then it's obvious there's nothing wrong with the USB2 settings on your PC. Did you install new software with the new device, if not then I would suggest that the original USB2 device was faulty!

nirofo.

nirofo said:
Hi Roy

If the new external USB2 device works ok, then it's obvious there's nothing wrong with the USB2 settings on your PC. Did you install new software with the new device, if not then I would suggest that the original USB2 device was faulty!

nirofo.
Nope, did not install new software - just plug and play. Reckon they fitted a duff device. They have offered to collect and return the PC but it could take up to 15 days, for the sake of £7.99 I would sooner not lose it for that amount of time.

baillieswells said:
Why not buy an external Firewire Compactflash reader. It will download a 1GB card in seconds. Or make sure you are using USB2 not USB1.

If you go down this route (and i would love to - my old dell wont support) make sure you have the later 6 pin socket as the 4 pin firewire socket has no power supply for the reader.

A PCMCIA reader is quicker .... not by a lot though .... perhaps 30%.

iano

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back