• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small brown/olive bird, Andes, Venezuela (1 Viewer)

iainp

Ok, I give up. I can't find this one in Hilty's "The Birds of Venezuela." Help??

Here are some stills from the video, and here's the link to the film, showing it moving in the trees, and also calling (a single "cheep" sound, followed by another later) This was on the heavily forested Humboldt Trail, in The Andes, around 2500m up. Video is real time, then slowed to half speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t22kBbnDCnA&feature=youtu.be

Many thanks.

Attachments

• New bird web.jpg
    New bird web.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 106
Bird in the video looks to be different from the bird in the stills, e.g. it has a longer thinner bill.

Regarding the bird in the stills, I think James is on the right track with Hemispingus, though looking at my Birds of Northern South America, I note that the Venezuela race of Superciliaried Hemispingus also has a yellow eyebrow.

Ah, so sorry to make things more complicated by posting the wrong video... I've just uploaded the video from which the stills were taken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLeGGZZh7k&feature=youtu.be

The oleaginous hemispingus looks spot on to me, but James, the bird I've been calling a mountain wren looks different to the one in the video. Here's a still from another video, which I was sure was a mountain wren because the song fitted the description, but this one looks much less brown than the other one, and the eyebrow looks much paler. Are they both mountain wrens? Many thanks for your help

Attachments

• Wren.jpg
    Wren.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 59
Hi Iain,
i can't answer definitively as i'm not sure of the possible wren spp. in venezuela.

but to me both birds could be mountain wren.

if you pause the last image in the video linked above and compare with your photo of the bird coming out of the hole then structure and pattern wise they look very similar. colour differences probably down to the different lighting.

there are some real south american experts on BF, hopefully they will be along to confirm/confute my hunches!

cheers,
James

That's great, thanks. I hadn't realised how many difficult -to -ID birds there were in Venezuela! I'm still working on another 10 or so brown/grey birds at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back