• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smallish torch for spotlighting (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I'm looking for something a bit smaller than my Thrunite TN31 for spotlighting. The Nitecore P30 looks about the best bet, unless I want to spend huge amounts of money, but I just thought I check to see if anyone else has alternative suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I have used a Fenix for several years now, fantastic bit of kit. The UK company were extremely helpful with an issue a couple of years ago and the torch has functioned perfectly since.
The HT18 was compared alongside the P30 you mention but that looks much larger than mine. Fenix do much smaller objective size units. TK25 looks useful. Hope this is of some use.

Edit: I have the same model as FJ under.

Last edited:
I have used a Fenix for several years now, fantastic bit of kit. The UK company were extremely helpful with an issue a couple of years ago and the torch has functioned perfectly since.
The HT18 was compared alongside the P30 you mention but that looks much larger than mine. Fenix do much smaller objective size units. Hope this is of some use.
Another vote for Fenix, I'm still using the TK32 I had in Western Sahara: it only uses one 18650 and has 4 white light settings as well as two red and two green. On max chat a single battery didn't quite fulfil an entire night's spotlighting on the WS trip so good for probably 6 hours. Easy to carry a couple of spares.

Barrel about 2.5cm across, objective about 5.5cm. Overall length under 17cm. Its a pretty solid piece of kit.

John

Another vote for Fenix, I'm still using the TK32 I had in Western Sahara: it only uses one 18650 and has 4 white light settings as well as two red and two green. On max chat a single battery didn't quite fulfil an entire night's spotlighting on the WS trip so good for probably 6 hours. Easy to carry a couple of spares.

Barrel about 2.5cm across, objective about 5.5cm. Overall length under 17cm. Its a pretty solid piece of kit.

John
I do remember this having considerable less power than my TN31 in the WS. The P30 seems to be only slightly less powerful than the TN31 but small enough to slip in a (fairly large) pocket. It also has the advantage of being able to use the newer, long-lasting 21700 batteries as well as 18650 ones.

The HT18 was compared alongside the P30 you mention but that looks much larger than mine. Fenix do much smaller objective size units. TK25 looks useful. Hope this is of some use.

Edit: I have the same model as FJ under.
The HT18 looks good but is considerably larger. I would like something that I can slip into a pocket in my trouser or thin jacket. The t25 has considerably less (under half) throw despite having a similar lumens rating.

Looks like the Nitecore P30 you've researched is the one, although it doesn't appear to have built in red nor green.
Good luck, be useful to know how it fares.

Last edited:
Looks like the Nitecore P30 you've researched is the one, although it doesn't appear to have built in red nor green.
Good luck, be useful to know how it fares.
If I get it, hopefully, it'll get a test in Tanzania in a few months. I will feed back whatever my choice, unless I chose to stick with what I have which is excellent but rather bulky and certainly won't fit in a pocket.

A similar request on FB resulted in several very experienced 'world birders' recommending the ledlenser MT14. It has considerable less of a throw but the fact that it lasts 9 hours on high power is very appealing.

Olight Warrior Turbo? Very good throw for something so compact. Horrible marketing but their torches perform well.

In the end I went for the ledlenser because nothing came even vaguely close to being able to go at full blast for 9 hours and I'm not sure if I'll always have a reliable electricity source. I'll keep the Thrunite, for now, for when I want that extra rich and weight isn't an issue.

In the end I went for the ledlenser because nothing came even vaguely close to being able to go at full blast for 9 hours and I'm not sure if I'll always have a reliable electricity source. I'll keep the Thrunite, for now, for when I want that extra rich and weight isn't an issue.
Hope it performs as per specifications, safe trip.

John
What do you find the best filter? I have a set of red, green, yellow and blue.

What do you find the best filter? I have a set of red, green, yellow and blue.
My foxes are completely unbothered by red which is good enough for me!

However I do know other people who swear by green so it may be worth trying that.

Results of any experimentation would be very interesting to see.

One consideration may be that I've noticed on a few very close photos that the red breaks through my turned-down flash (mainly shows up on white areas). I've reduced it so far by desaturating colour a bit and a very tentative tweak to white balance. I'd guess green on high power might do the same and would look stranger, if not possible to eliminate it in post prod.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back