• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smallish torch for spotlighting (1 Viewer)

Either I think. The best range would be number 1 criteria
I'd go for the Olight warrior x turbo if range is the key priority - 1000m but bear in mind as with most torches that's the maximum range, the actual useful range in terms or really lighting something up is much less. It does have a very narrow beam though to achieve those distances and run time on full power isn't that long (it cuts down from 1000lumen to 600 lumen for a while to prevent overheating). Retail is £139, but one of Olight's 'quirks' is they often have short flash sales both on their Amazon store and their horrendously laid out direct store. I think I paid about £99. Filters are about £12.

If you want something that will run longer the Warrior X-pro or Warrior x 3 (the x3 has minor upgrades but a less comfortable grip) is a good option and runs at 1000 lumen for over an hour and half, but annoyingly you only get to this after you've had 2.5 mins turbo mode. Range is only 5-600 m though.

Thrunite and Lumintop are other popular makes of 'throwers' and cheaper, but based on my experience with Thrunite I couldn't recommend them for reliability.

@peter.jones To save you wading through a bunch of mad US prepper and thinly disguised Olight marketing videos - this is one of the better youtube reviews of the Warrior Turbo:

So the ledlenser MT14 was fine for my needs in Uganda although spotlighting was difficult due to being with family and car hire/reserve restrictions on driving at night/wandering hippos so it didn't get that much use. The downside was quite often photos taken using it for illumination ended up like this,

Attachments

• 22effectoftorch.jpg
    22effectoftorch.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
I read a trip report when Simone else had the same problem. I presume it isn't constant but appears so to the human eye. I had lots like this.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back