• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So tell me. (6 Viewers)

I'm ready for this whole thread to go bye bye. Can a moderator delete this whole thing?

Don't feel bad, the thread just had some active discussion, nothing wrong
with that.

I like the rumble, makes the site fun and nobody was really troubled.

Just keep posting, you do a nice job with the topics.

Jerry

OK thanks, I thought the topic was worthwhile for me at least but I used terms that pushed some buttons. I could have done it differently and better but like you said no harm done and I learned something. Nobody really got angry as far as I know and nobody said anything offensive or in an angry way towards me but one or two posts gave me a clue that something might go south and I just don't want that in my life right now. Not here; I come here to relax, have fun, and get excited about spending money I don't really need to spend. That's the topic of my next thead lol.

Mostly because I live right at the foot of mountain ranges and one side of my valley is open grasslands as I'm close to the Great Basin desert and so I hike up the tree filled other side of the valley and just scope the other side which could be three or more miles away. On my upper deck I have a pair of 25x100 Oberwerks and often see the elk and coyotes, Golden Eagles and Red Tails, fairly close up or some hikers passing a joint on top of Grizzly Peak. That's fun as it's about three miles away or more as I said. I'm a spy on a mission doing surveillance so watch out lol. I often look down into town and watch all the humans like a giant colorful ant hill of action. I love a wide FOV as I deal with winter blues and If it's a sunny day I love just to see bushes and brown grass in the sunlight. I think that's my favorite sight in a bino. You don't really need top notch optics for that.

You are a lucky guy Crow - many would much rather be in a great location with a not so good binocular than vice versa. Here in the UK not all that many birders will have seen a wild golden eagle - I never have. You'll have to go a long way north to places like the Scottish Highlands, and often cover a lot of ground, just to see one in Britain. Being able to see birds like that on a regular basis would be a real privilege, and your area looks like it would let you follow them for miles, too, with that 25x100 setup. As Proverbs 30:18/19 goes: There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not: The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid.

Regarding your original post, I haven't personally used the 10x30 class binoculars (only looked through a Canon 10x30IS briefly) and wouldn't be able to recommend one that is good value for $200, or $500 for that matter. But when others here express that making a binocular of that magnification x objective configuration is more difficult (and therefore costly) than say an 8x40, I can relate to that, because the same is true with photographic lenses. A quality 50mm f1.8, for instance, can cost a fraction of some other focal lengths because of its simpler optical design. But then, it's very true that not everyone wants, needs, or can perceive alpha-level optical quality. Some situations are more demanding than others: enjoying the view over a city or a mountainside, for instance, compared to trying to tell whether a bird something like 1.5 km away is a black-headed gull or a peregrine. I have tried a fair number of binoculars for that latter job, from classics to alphas, and sadly (as I dearly wish I could distinguish no differences between them) to my eyes, the older glass is definitely outperformed at long distance, and/or against grey cloud and when visibility is a little on the marginal side.

Over the last two or three months I have become uncomfortably aware that my eyes' accommodation is not what it used to be, and am looking forward (forgive the pun) to the further age-related deterioration of my eyesight with dread. I am keeping a couple of the old classics for that day, as they feel nicer in the hands than anything else, and I guess that won't change even if my eyesight has gone to pot.

Last edited:
Over the last two or three months I have become uncomfortably aware that my eyes' accommodation is not what it used to be, and am looking forward (forgive the pun) to the further age-related deterioration of my eyesight with dread. I am keeping a couple of the old classics for that day, as they feel nicer in the hands than anything else, and I guess that won't change even if my eyesight has gone to pot.

What you need to do is develop cataracts and get them fixed. (removed)

You will then be able to see like you won't believe.

You won't have any accommodation, but you won't care.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back