• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some additional etymological information – Part III (2 Viewers)

No. 9 – crossleyi in …
● Crossley's Ground-thrush (Turdus) Zoothera crossleyi SHARPE 1871 a k a "Crossley's Orange Ground-Thrush" or just "Crossley's Thrush"
● Rufous-headed Ground-roller Atelornis crossleyi SHARPE 1875 a k a "Crossley’s Ground-roller"
= the almost totally unknown British collector and taxidermist Alfred Crossley (probably 1829?1888?), who collected flowers, snakes and butterflies, etc. etc. on Madagascar during 1869–1870 and in Cameroon 1871. After that he probably went to Rhodesia (today's Zimbabwe and Zambia) and thereafter maybe back to Madagascar again …

CROSSLEY, Alfred B. 1829, Lancashire - D. first quarter 1888, Greater Manchester, Lancashire.

See Justins questions here. But of course we still do not have his complete life dates (and still some kind of speculation). A lot of discussion with no real result.

Something's wrong here. This book seems to suggest that Crossley died in Madagascar in 1873.

Plant Collectors in Madagascar and the Comoro Islands: A ... - Page 105

Hi Paul, I took my dates from this thread on a forum. Did not respond on posed questions after a certain moment, and still indeed some things are not clear. Would be good if some-one would dig a bit deeper. I might well be wrong, but did read the book you cited.

Yes but as Alfred was from Halifax, Yorkshire and an employee of a Halifax dealer I see no reason for either date to be correct. There is no evidence I can see that he ever went to Lancashire in his life. :) P

Last edited:
Something's wrong here. This book seems to suggest that Crossley died in Madagascar in 1873.

Plant Collectors in Madagascar and the Comoro Islands: A ... - Page 105

Yes Paul, sure, something is most certainly wrong here, but maybe not what you think ... ;)

Laurence Dorr's Plant Collectors in Madagascar and the Comoro Islands, from 1997, actually tell us (on p.105):
... Crossley returned (early 1872) to Madagascar and apparently continued collecting until his death (1875?) ; Crossley evidently also traveled in the Cameroons and Rhodesia ; many of his Malagasy specimens are without ....

It doesn't say, "1873", but instead "1875?". With a question mark, indicating that he might have died in 1875 (I don't actually read it as a true "suggestion", more like a plausible, more or less likely possibility. Dorr had seen something, whatever, that might have indicated that Crossley could have died in (or in about) that certain year. But that's me, English isn't my Mother tongue.

However, in 1875 Albert Günther wrote (here): "A collection of Mammals just received from Mr. Crossley, and made on his way from Tamantave to Murundava, contains several specimens ... " . Also note (in square brackets), below the heading: "[Received February 2, 1875]"

"Crossley’s Ground-roller" (a k a the Rufous-headed ditto) "Atelornis crossleyi" was described by Richard Bowdler Sharpe just four pages earlier.

Even if mail was slow in those times, and even if "just received" is somewhat vague, I would be surprised if he'd passed earlier than that. To me it looks like he was still alive in the beginning of 1875 (at least as far as anyone would or could know, back in England) .

In any case, the Holotype itself, of "his" Ground-roller" is kept in BNHM (here):
Genus:​
Atelornis
Species:​
crossleyi
Subspecies:​
Author:​
Sharpe
Year:​
Order or Suborder:​
Coracii
Reference:​
Proc. zool. Soc. Lond., 1875 : 74, pl. 14.
Type:​
Holotype
Description:​
Adult.
Registration No.:​
Ampasmonhavo, Madagascar.
Collector:​
Collected by A. Crossley and purchased of W. Cutter.

Though, also see C. W Benson's Type specimens of Bird skins in the University Museum of Zoology, Cambridge, United Kingdom (1999), and note that there's apparently (also) a specimen in the UMZC, see here (on p.63, or below, alt. attached excerpt, if too heavy to open/download)

Benson (1999), p.63.jpg

If Alfred Crossley was collecting on the South East Coast of Madagascar in 1875 it sure would be hard for him to have died prior to that (and most certainly in "1873") 🙄

Either way, here he's suddenly mentioned, by the same Richard Bowdler Sharpe, as: "the late Mr. Crossley" (in 1879)!

For what it's worth.

Björn

PS. Paul, and/or Justin, how do we know that he truly "was from Halifax", Yorkshire ..." ? What's the origin of that claim?

Last edited:
Yes in the truncated snipped I could get from Google it looked like a 3 but apparently was a "5?" But actually, this is wrong!

And this

is only partially right:

What is actually correct:

Alfred Crossley
Born 1839 Halifax, Yorkshire (Christened 13 Oct 1839)
Died 28 Feb 1877 Tamatave, Madagascar

See attached.

Paul

Attachments

• crossley.JPG
    crossley.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 11
  • crossley1.JPG
    crossley1.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
WOW! Thanks, Paul, that's quite sensational, and quite an achievement! 🏆

That was certainly worth the effort (for us all), after having spent time bouncing back and forth, between doubts and bewilderment, years and years in between, from piece to piece, between confusion and contradictions, from incompatible facts or doubtful statements ... into success!

Now I will certainly, and happily, re-open my old notes, and simply amend my MS.

Once again THANKS! (y)

Björn

Yes in the truncated snipped I could get from Google it looked like a 3 but apparently was a "5?" But actually, this is wrong!

And this

is only partially right:

What is actually correct:

Alfred Crossley
Born 1839 Halifax, Yorkshire (Christened 13 Oct 1839)
Died 28 Feb 1877 Tamatave, Madagascar

See attached.

Paul

Seems that Alfred Crossley's birth date is still uncertain. Olivier Langrand claimed that Crossley was born in 1842. see: Steven M. Goodman: The New Natural History of Madagascar, 2022.

The date is not uncertain. This book is simply wrong. He died at 37. Attached is his baptism record. His birth is registered in the July quarter of 1839.

Attachments

• 32355_248984-00703.jpg
    32355_248984-00703.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 7
Born August 11, 1839

See here

A really good read - Enslaved, lost, married twice, died of smallpox...

Alfred’s mother as Hannah Crossley and his grandfather as William Crossley, carpet weaver and occupant of a house on Savile Row in Halifax, an address that no longer exists. Alfred was evidently raised by his mother and her family in the modest neighborhood of Mount Pleasant

Even if Sclater coined the somewhat "odd" name raggiana (instead of the more traditional "raggii") I think the commemoration still remain: the fairly unknown Italian Aristocrat Marquis (Marchese) Francesco Raggi (1807–1887) … don´t you?
No idea if all this dates are correct. Couldn't it be Visionneuse - Archives de Paris p. 24 of 31 as Zoagli as place of birth may fit to Genoa?

P.S. But now I doubt as 1867 is 10 years before OD 1873 - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library

But is this his mother Giurisprudenza dell'ecc.mo r. Senato di Genova, ossia collezione delle sentenze pronunciate dal r. Senato di Genova sovra i punti piu importanti di diritto civile e commerciale, e di procedura ?
Attesto che per l'instrumento degli 11 giugno 1804, sarebbe accertato, come la Marchesa Giovanna Raggi in sicurezza dellla proprie doti di lire 72586, 7 di Genova, e per li frutti delle medisime cotto Francesco Maria Della Torre di lei marito, a godere, e sfruttare diversi beni stabili devoluti al medesimo patrimonio, tra li quali la meta della villa detta la Maggiola, e di un bosco detto l'OCCIO situati nel terrotorop die S. Michele di Montesiguano

And if I see the footnote Cosmos he was still alive in 1876.

Last edited:
Of course you are correct. The only thing why I doubt a little bit on the dates is that between Luigi Maria D'Albertis (1841–1901) and Francesco Raggi (1807–1887) are 34 years difference. Normally friends are a kind of same age (but it is possible). A lot difference to consider him a friend in 1873. Maybe a son needs to be considered?

Last edited:
... Maybe a son needs to be considered?
Martin, I don't see any (good/particular) reason to consider (alt. reconsider) a son in this case.

There are many, many, numerous examples of far older people (like Mentors, Teachers, Employers, Principals, Colleauges, etc., etc.) having been called friend/s, or My/Our friend, alt. my Dear Friend, by far younger people (as well as vice versa).

But, who knows, it might be worth a try (for anyone keen, or keener, knowing Italian) ... ?

Last edited:
As he is mentioned here I have a question to The Key to Scientific Names - Birds of the World
Luigi Maria Conte d’Albertis (1841-1901) Italian botanist, zoologist, ethnologist in the East Indies and New Guinea 1871-1878 (Aegotheles, Drepanornis, syn. Goura scheepmakeri, Gymnophaps).
Aegotheles albertisi Sclater, PL 1874 OD 1873 - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Drepanornis albertisi (Sclater, PL 1873) OD v.7-8=no.158-209 (1872-1873) - Nature - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Gymnophaps albertisii Salvadori, 1874 OD v.6 (1874) - Annali del Museo civico di storia naturale di Genova - Biodiversity Heritage Library

And now the tricky one syn. Goura scheepmakeri (at least for me):
If I understood correct Vol 21 (1893) - Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library

?Goura albertsii (sic), Tristr. (nec Salvadl.) Cat. Coll. B. p . 37 (189) (Fly River)

So here Catalogue of a collection of birds belonging to H.B. Tristram ... - Biodiversity Heritage Library . From that description (non existing) I am not sure how to conclude that Goura scheepmakeri or Goura sclaterii is a synonym to Goura albertsii (sic), Tristram, 1889. Or did I miss anything important?

If I understood correct Vol 21 (1893) - Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library

So here Catalogue of a collection of birds belonging to H.B. Tristram ... - Biodiversity Heritage Library . From that description (non existing) I am not sure how to conclude that Goura scheepmakeri or Goura sclaterii is a synonym to Goura albertsii (sic), Tristram, 1889. Or did I miss anything important?

This is not the source of the name. Salvadori on this page (i.e., 622) of the Catal. Birds Brit. Mus. merely indicated that Tristram (probably) misapplied a name that he had proposed earlier. He then used the original name as valid on the next page : Vol 21 (1893) - Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Goura albertisii Salvadori 1876, OD : Atti della R. Accademia delle scienze di Torino

Both Goura albertsi and Goura albertsii are misspellings of Goura albertisii Salvadori, 1876, which name has been linked to both Goura sclateri Salvadori, 1876, and to Goura scheepmakeri Finsch, 1876. However, according to Mayr, 1941, List of New Guinea Birds, p. 52, Goura albertisii Salvadori, (late)1876, is a synonym of Goura scheepmakeri Finsch (April 1)1876.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back