• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

some birds, ethiopian highlands (1 Viewer)

Thanks everybody!

Here is another 3 pictures (hopefully better).

31) juvenile tawny eagle?

32) this looked like a scaly-throated honeyguide, but since it was moulting heavily i would like to hear some other opinions.

33) is this a juvenile pin-tailed whydah? there is a lot of these small brown granivores around...

TZ, you should see it as a compliment that I think people on this forum are so good, they even manage to identify my very bad pictures :) ive been surprised more often!

Attachments

• eagle.JPG
    eagle.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 21
  • honey.JPG
    honey.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 17
  • whydah.JPG
    whydah.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 19
(1) First impression (often wrong!) is Wahlbergs with that nice crest. But I don't see a tail, and think I'm missing something. Will come back in a morning slot some time...
(2) Agreed
(3) Probably not, do you get steel-blue there? Or is it simply a black-faced/cheeked waxbill (which the former mimics?). Again, need to actually put my thnking cap on. Any more pics of this?

Hey TZ,

One thing I could see about the Eagle was that it was raining at the time I took the picture, so possibly it had his feathers like this due to the rain.

I also added the 3 other pictures we took of the small brown bird and I can give you some measurements:
wing 64mm, tail 39mm and 11.2 gram

Does this help putting on the thinking cap:)?

Attachments

• whydah1.JPG
    whydah1.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 18
  • whydah2.JPG
    whydah2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 20
  • whydah3.JPG
    whydah3.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 22
The eagle is actually a juvenile Western Banded Snake-eagle, the wings and the tail are too short for Wahlberg's but I must admit that the angle of capture does not do justice to the big Circaetus head.
Compare with the juvenile WBSE in post # 22: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=215804&highlight=tib

The small bird is a juvenile Vidua (so either whydah or indigobird). I don't think you can ID it up to species level, even in the hand, let alone from pictures...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back