• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some info about PNG (1 Viewer)

Jose Ramon

Hi all,

I am planning a tour to PNG and I I would like to receive some info.

1.- I would like to watch all the endemic families in PNG and it seems that is possible in Kumul Lodge (Mount Hagen).

How many days do you consider that should be fine in Kumul Lodge?

What are the best day or 1/2 day tours around Kumul Lodge? Is it worth to take all of them?

But Mottled Berryhunter (Rhagologidae) seems to be the most difficult one.

Checking in eBird it seems that a good point to look for it is a hotspot called Tomba & Murmur Pass [2400-2800m].

Anybody had visited this hotspot? Do you have any other one to look for it?

2.- I plan to visit Port Moresby and Mount Hagen.

In Port Moresby area I plan to visit Varirata NP and Pacific Adventist University. Another hotspot that has been mentioned in Brown River/Vanapa River lowlands.

Do you recommend me any other hotspot around Port Moresby?

How many days do you believe that I should plan to visit them?

3.- In addition to Port Moresby and Mount Hagen, could you please recommend me a third area in PNG to visit?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Hi,

PNG is extremely difficult, both logistically and bird-wise. It is not simply the inherent dificulty of rainforest birding but more difficult than that. Birds from Paradise, birding trips from Hell. There is a good reason why PNG is rarely visited and almost exclusively on organized tours.

Plan extra days, because PNG is plagued by mishaps and delays in everything – from cancelled flights to cars running out of petrol.

Lowland birds in NG, including Varirata, purposefully hide from view and are much more difficult to see than rainforest birds on other continents. In NG, even small birds are hunted with slingshots so are never in view. Ironically, it is birds of paradise and other canopy species like hornbills which are often relatively easiest to see. In the highlands, many species are low density and irregular. I heard the Wattled Ploughbill (an endemic family now) 3 times but could not see it.

For Varirata NP you need at least a day. Longer, if you want to take a guide and go for Pheasant Pigeon, or many days to pick low density species like megapodes or Forest Bittern. For Pacific Adventist University you need about half a day.

For extra spots, as always, check itineraries of organized tours. Our tour, like many others, visited Kiunga/Tabubil in the West, which has a different selection of species, but it requires additional flight trip.

Last edited:
Hi,

PNG is extremely difficult, both logistically and bird-wise. It is not simply the inherent dificulty of rainforest birding but more difficult than that. Birds from Paradise, birding trips from Hell. There is a good reason why PNG is rarely visited and almost exclusively on organized tours.

Plan extra days, because PNG is plagued by mishaps and delays in everything – from cancelled flights to cars running out of petrol.

Lowland birds in NG, including Varirata, purposefully hide from view and are much more difficult to see than rainforest birds on other continents. In NG, even small birds are hunted with slingshots so are never in view. Ironically, it is birds of paradise and other canopy species like hornbills which are often relatively easiest to see. In the highlands, many species are low density and irregular. I heard the Wattled Ploughbill (an endemic family now) 3 times but could not see it.

For Varirata NP you need at least a day. Longer, if you want to take a guide and go for Pheasant Pigeon, or many days to pick low density species like megapodes or Forest Bittern. For Pacific Adventist University you need about half a day.

For extra spots, as always, check itineraries of organized tours. Our tour, like many others, visited Kiunga/Tabubil in the West, which has a different selection of species, but it requires additional flight trip.
Thank you, Jurek

I have been planning PNG now for years and I hope next summer could be the time to go. I will announce the tour in Bird Forum.

My plan is to take a local guide both in Port Moresby and Mount Hagen. In Mount Hagen they will be the ones from Kumul Lodge.

I am aware of the difficulties of PNG, they are mentioned in every trip report.

My idea is to spend about 5 days in Port Moresby to visit Pacific Adventist University, Brown River/Vanapa River lowlands and around 3 days in Varirata NP. Then fly to Mount Hagan and spend at least another 5 days there taking some if not all the day or 1/2 day tours around Kumul Lodge.

Depending on time and money, I/we could take a second plane to visit Kiunga/Tabubil area.

Regards,

Thank you, Jurek

I have been planning PNG now for years and I hope next summer could be the time to go. I will announce the tour in Bird Forum.

My plan is to take a local guide both in Port Moresby and Mount Hagen. In Mount Hagen they will be the ones from Kumul Lodge.

I am aware of the difficulties of PNG, they are mentioned in every trip report.

My idea is to spend about 5 days in Port Moresby to visit Pacific Adventist University, Brown River/Vanapa River lowlands and around 3 days in Varirata NP. Then fly to Mount Hagan and spend at least another 5 days there taking some if not all the day or 1/2 day tours around Kumul Lodge.

Depending on time and money, I/we could take a second plane to visit Kiunga/Tabubil area.

Regards,
Hi Jose,
My friend and I were planning on birding in PNG next summer, pretty much the same route you have mentioned. Would be helpful if we can find a reliable guide who could also help organize the domestic flights and other logistics.The tour companies are pricey but I guess we pay for their service. I see your post was in October, hope you managed to find a guide and make arrangements for your trip.

Is it safe to go? Have been at Papua (Raja Ampat, Manokwari, Wanema) few months ago, and everybody said Port Moresby is now one of the most dangerous city of the world. Birding is hard, and as it´s mentioned, its easier to see a BoP than any other "common" bird.

Is it safe to go? Have been at Papua (Raja Ampat, Manokwari, Wanema) few months ago, and everybody said Port Moresby is now one of the most dangerous city of the world. Birding is hard, and as it´s mentioned, its easier to see a BoP than any other "common" bird.
Hi Glimmer,

Port Moresby has been considered a dangerous city as far as I can remember.

I have different friends that have traveled to PNG and the info that I have is that you should take a lot of care in Port Moresby and in any place in PNG.

You should be picked up in the airport and taken to the hotel by someone arranged with the guide. Taking a walk or going out for dinner by yourself is something that should be avoided.

Anyway, you may stay in a hotel near Varirata National Park (there are some in front of the entrance) and avoid Port Moresby. Anyway, the guide that I contacted in PNG informed me that he hires some “big men” to defend us just in case.

In any place in PNG, except National Parks, you cannot bird on yourself even in “public” tracks. Even more, in the highlands there are a lot of tribes that have problems among them from time to time and it is not difficult to see people walking around with machetes or even guns to protect themselves and their land.

Any visit to any place should be arranged in advance by the guide. If any local person sees you walking around even if you are not invading his property you may get into trouble.

Local flights timetables are highly unreliable. If you plan to go to expensive lodges they will could cost you a fortune. Local hotels are much affordable.

In addition, birds are afraid of people as they have always been hunted. Except in feeders in some specific hotels, you will not be able to have close views of the birds.

Communications are poor developed and the driver will take you to the birding places taking earth tracks. Afterwards, you should walk earth paths, maybe slippery if it has been raining.

Security concerns are even worse for ladies as rape in PNG is something not so uncommon so they should take extra care.

Anyway, all my friends that went to PNG survived. Of course PNG is a kind of extreme limit for birders but if you want to see some very specific birds and some endemic families the only place to see them is PNG.

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back