• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

some interesting behavior (1 Viewer)

mwtzzz

United States
Hi,

I've noticed that there's only one unique hummingbird that visits my feeder, but it's only for 3 or 4 days and then we never see them again and they're replaced by another one who stays for a few days and then they disappear too.

I'm curious as to what's going on. I'm thinking it's either a territorial/dominance type of thing, or maybe the birds are migrating to somewhere else, or maybe this is just normal "making the rounds" behavior to spend a few days at one site and then move on to another site?

REal curious if anyone knows.

If you see it again can you try to get a picture of it and then the I D section of the Forum.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi,

I've noticed that there's only one unique hummingbird that visits my feeder, but it's only for 3 or 4 days and then we never see them again and they're replaced by another one who stays for a few days and then they disappear too.

I'm curious as to what's going on. I'm thinking it's either a territorial/dominance type of thing, or maybe the birds are migrating to somewhere else, or maybe this is just normal "making the rounds" behavior to spend a few days at one site and then move on to another site?

REal curious if anyone knows.
Depends on your location and species. Here in coastal Washington State, Anna's Hummingbirds remain year round. We should see migratory Rufous Hummingbirds here soon, our summertime visitors.

Actually, what I meant is:
a specific hummingbird will come for a few days, make our feeder "his", then goes away and we never see him again.
Another takes his place immediately, but again only for a few days, then goes off and never comes back.
The pattern repeats...
I'm wondering why they don't stay for longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back