• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

some kind of piper in new jeresey (1 Viewer)

piclady632

some kind of piper in new jeresey with pics

found in forsythe refuge
sorry I thought the pics uploaded but I like your responses

Attachments

• march2008 057zzz.jpg
    march2008 057zzz.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
http://www.rspbliverpool.org.uk/BUSY.jpg

Just for an idea of relative sizes there are Eurasian Curlew well out into the water on this photo. The birds packed in tightly on the water's edge are Knot, which are related to Dunlin, but are substantially bigger! There might just be a Dunlin walking in stage right. It amuses me since this photo appears to have been taken from my garden!

Adult Dunlin in non-breeding plumage do not have a black belly. Here is a picture of one I took in September before it flew south for the winter.

Attachments

• dunlin2.jpg
    dunlin2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 58
Your birds are in winter plumage

http://dnr.metrokc.gov/Wlr/waterres/marine/photos/img/shorebirds/Dunlin.jpg

Curlew is a huge bird in comparison!

Perhaps piclady meant Curlew Sandpiper, not an actual Curlew (which would be accidental in New Jersey and, I believe, even rarer than Curlew Sandpiper). A non-breeding plumage Curlew Sandpiper would look very similar to a Dunlin, as you European birders probably know better than we Americans. They would be easier to distinguish in flight, with a white rump. But given they would be quite rare for this area, and also unusual for this time of year, I would assume these must be Dunlin. My books mention longer legs and longer neck for Curlew Sandpiper, but not much else that is helpful with respect to non-breeding plumage. (Still waiting for my new shorebird book to arrive!). I see somewhat longer legs than I would expect on a typical Dunlin here, but certainly nothing definitive.

Jim

Last edited:
As a comparison here are two pics taken early this morning showing a Dunlin with a turnstone and a piece of orange and a badly lit Dunlin in flight - hope they are of some use. DO Have better pictures but none quite as recent.

Attachments

• dunlinturnstone.jpg
    dunlinturnstone.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 78
  • dunlin.jpg
    dunlin.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back