• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some UK micro and macro moths (1 Viewer)

138mph

United Kingdom
Hi again,
A selection of recent images of moths for identification.
One image set has locations and dates, plus a tag to associate with any id offered.
The second set were all taken July 21 in Luton, Bedfordshire with two images per moth.

I have done a scan of UKmoths without coming up with a positive id for any of them, but have a rough idea about two or three.

Thanks in advance for all assistance,
Hugh

Attachments

• moths1.jpg
    moths1.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 121
  • moths2.jpg
    moths2.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 107
Why not post what you think they are and we can go from there? All of these (bar one in the top row of the first set, which is a caddis fly) will be on ukmoths. There are six micros in the first set, the others will be in the Waring field guide.

Mike

Well, I have done another pass of UK moths and the book for the macros and am still none the wiser. I am hoping that if somebody can identify them, then I will be able to work out why I am not picking them out.
Hugh

Just to start you off.
Snout & Riband wave in first batch.
Nut-tree Tussock and a Wainscot which could be either Smoky or Common in the second batch.
Dave.

Just to start you off.
Snout & Riband wave in first batch.
Nut-tree Tussock and a Wainscot which could be either Smoky or Common in the second batch.
Dave.

Thanks for that.
I see why I should have got the Snout, I had ruled out the Wainscots as I erroneously thought that they wouldn't be found locally. I have also found images of Nut-tree tussock that are like mine, but I wouldn't have got it from the ukmoths image.

E2 Green oak tortrix Tortrix viridana?

C1 wasn't really green, it was grey.

B1 is Chrysoteuchia culmella
And the first in the second set is Straw underwing.

Hugh

Last edited:
A1 belongs to Carpatolechia, C1 to Cnephasiini, D1 to Scopariinae, F1 to Lyonetiidae.
E2 Aphelia paleana.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back