• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song recordings, Japan (Nagano) (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Two recordings from the same location in mostly birch mountain forest:

BirdNet claims Narcissus Flycatcher and Blue-and-White Flycatcher for the first and Narcissus Flycatcher, Blue-and-White Flycatcher Japanese Bush Robin for the second - which to me seems like too many birds, as I hear only one?

Bloody Narcissus....they continue to confuse me. But this silly-ish series of notes I remember from various recordings I made in 2018.
If you want a third opinion, please give Xeno-Canto a try. Anon Torimi knows his way with Japanese soundbites (as you probably are well aware)

cheers,
Gerben

Hi Jan.

Your first (longer) recording has two birds - Japanese Bush Warbler (JBW) and Narcissus. The first four seconds are JBW, then Narcissus, then 7-10 is JBW again (I think) and then a final snatch of Narcissus.

The second one sounds good for Narcissus to me, though it's so short that...

The famous summer call of JBW is the 'Ho-ho-ke-kyo' call which heralds spring here in Japan like the Cuckoo in England. The bird is also regarded with religious reverence because Hokke-kyo is a name for the Lotus Sutra which is the foundational text of all Japanese (Mahayana) Buddhism even if it is not the most important text for some of them. In the Nichiren School, the text itself is regarded as the universal Buddha, and the main prayer of this sect is 'Namu Myōhō Renge Kyō' or 'Glory to the Dharma of the Lotus Sutra'. 'Renge-kyo' and 'Hokke-kyo are two names for the same Lotus Sutra, so the bird is regarded by some as spending the whole summer praising the Buddhist Dharma.

This is not the song on your recording.

However, this bird has another summer theme for which my private name is the 'Machu-Picchu' call (sometimes when it's slow it sounds like this repeated over and over). And that is what your first four seconds are. I attach an example from a recording of mine from a seen bird.

View attachment JBW-Macchu-Picchu.mp3

Cool, thanks! I know the typical JBW call, but this is quite different, so I was not sure - and birdnet was quite adamant about the Narcissus. I haven't seen any, but it's a nice acoustic tick.

Sorry, i overlooked the JBW part
Sloppiness is not a good trait for a birder.
Have you made a forumpost about it in XC? That usually helps.

Cheers
G

Sorry, i overlooked the JBW part
Sloppiness is not a good trait for a birder.
Have you made a forumpost about it in XC? That usually helps.

Cheers
G
Hi Gerben.

In your previous post you mentioned AnonTorimi. Unfortunately I am an anti-fan of his. He posts every recording he makes as far as I can see, regardless of quality - and most times the quality and therefore utility is close to zero. For me he has single-handedly destroyed most of the usefulness for me of Xeno-Canto for Japanese birds. His dross swamps everything else (incidentally including his own OK stuff). And this is also a reason I would never post my own recordings there. He operates from Osaka Castle Park which is about an hour from my house, and where I go a few times a year. There's a group of older guys who spend most days there birding, chatting and drinking. They even have a leader who they call Shogun. So I probably have met AnonTorimi (Anon= Anon, Tori=Bird, Mi=See). These guys are quite harmless, and indeed can be helpful when you are there. Osaka Castle Park is a migration hotspot and one service they do is collating daily sightings and putting a post on the internet. The next day after something interesting has been spotted, it's often still there, and in this way I have got a few birds otherwise not seen. But I can't understand this obsession with posting every darned recording.

I am not going into a back-and-forth (please let's not), about this. I was sloppy or sleepy to not notice the common first tones were not Narcissus, but the always as annoying (soundwise only) JBW. In my recordings of spring 2018 I have stumbled on plenty of short snippets that were almost invariably attributable to either Narcissus or JBW.

I have nothing but good experiences with XC and never noticed anything annoying about Anon Torimi. I don't visit the site that often but suggest it to other birders, on inat. who have some JP soundrecording questions. I am sorry you have not many good words for this tremendous body of work that is XC.

All the best and keep it peaceful please..enough shit going on outside, right?

cheers,
Gerben

back to my friggin Thayer's Gull

Last edited:
I am not going into a back-and-forth (please let's not), about this. I was sloppy or sleepy to not notice the common first tones were not Narcissus, but the always as annoying (soundwise only) JBW. In my recordings of spring 2018 I have stumbled plenty of short snippets that were almost invariably attributable to either Narcissus or JBW.
Hi Gerben.

I wasn't making any comment at all, critical or otherwise, about you ID comments in your original ID post or the later one. For your original post, I read it as that you thought it was Narcissus, but weren't certain. I provided my reply hoping that it would be helpful. But I didn't and wouldn't criticise your comment for the reason you seem to suggest. The criticism you seem to see is in your imagination; there are no words of criticism of you at all in either of my posts.

Indeed in my post #4, I was replying directly to Jan' post #1 and made no reference to your post #2 at all.

In my post #7 your comment was posted automatically as I replied. Perhaps I should have deleted it. I just replied to you nearest comment with my personal observations about AnonTorimi and my experience of XC for Japanese birds. Again, this is not a criticism of your comments on either of these; I'm glad you have a good experience. I was just reporting my experience, but you seem to have turned it into a criticism of yourself for no reason.

No no! i was openly chastising myself for not noting the JBW in the first place. Sorry if i gave the wrong impression.
On the other issue i wanted to counterbalance your negative view of XC based on your experience with a user there. I love what they do and i hope more ppl will use it and share their data there.

Cheers
gerben

Are you still at inaturalist btw?

Last edited:
doh, I thought you were.... You may want to consider a look there too. The birding members are increasing, not much of a community...but who needs that when we have BF.

cheers,
Gerben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back