• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony/Minolta 1.4 Converters (1 Viewer)

Wildmoreway

Just wondering if anyone knows of a suitable 1.4 converter to fit the Tamron 70 to 300 lens with a Sony Alpha mount?

Cheers

SW

Len do not go there. Even if it worked it would only manually focus and exacerbate softness at 300mm.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a suitable 1.4 converter to fit the Tamron 70 to 300 lens with a Sony Alpha mount?

Cheers

SW

You need a "faster" lens to work well with a teleconvertor, but you can use manual focus. The images won't likely be first rate in sharpness but you will be able to get some that are acceptable. Just don't expect miracles. Most of the generic teleconvertors seem to be made in the same factory, no matter the brand, so quality is about the same. The big name teleconvertors often only work with specific lenses. It is a matter of clearance between the elements.

This is a very vexed subject and I have struggled with it.
The following link is probably the best overall article.
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/TC/index.asp
I have two TCs for Sony one is a Teleplus 1.4x and the other is a Tamron-F 1.4x imported from the States. The latter appears to be identical to the first BUT has no restricter so can be used with apertures less than f4! BUT it is very hit and miss with focus and sometimes goes awol!! It often gets used on Manual.
Also there are issues with Sony grinding up the gears of some 3rd party lenses so you probably have to set your camera to 'slow' focus.

It depends what sort of use you have for your photos because sharpness is less. If you want a personal record it is ok.

There is no doubt that if you can afford a big bit of glass it will repay you. Also if the glass has a dedicated TC then this will be best TC solution.

Good forums for Sony are Dyxum (above) and dynaxdigital.com where there is a wealth of stuff.

I have tried several teleconverters with my Sony A300 and Tamron 70-300 lens. After testing I've concluded the lens is better without them and cropping the image gives better results. BTW I've traded in the teleconverters and purchased the Sony 70-300 G lens. It is sharper than the Tamron but for the money the Tamron is still a very good lens at a quarter the price.

I did eventually get a teleplus 1.4 converter cheap off ebay which I have used with a sigma 70 - 300, results have been better than expected and it does often manage to auto focus. I never tried it with a the tamron as I had already bought a sigma to 70 to 300 and sold the tamron lens.

My conclusion is that the tc is worth having as it can make the difference between able to id a distant subject or not, however as in effect said elsewhere is does degrade the image.

SW

And another warning matey - my sigma 70-300mm has just stripped it's gears...

Oh dear! |=(| I had heard about the probem|but I'm hoping that mine is a safe one and upgraded one, as I bought it new a couple of weeks ago

Len

Last edited:
Oh dear! |=(| I had heard about the probem|but I'm hoping that mine is a safe one and upgraded one, as I bought it new a couple of weeks ago

Len

On my A700 there is a setting to 'slow' down the autofocus.
This was recommended as a precaution to avoid over powering the Sigma lenses.
I can't say I have noticed any downside to using the slow setting but I don't normally take subjects where they need a quick focus.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back