• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony RX10 1V the new boy. (7 Viewers)

That's what I like about it GiG - I don't need to change anything - just press the button!

One serious BiF expert even does it the other way round - his default setting is for BiF, and he presses the button to activate the perched bird setting.

Western Tanager - One more thing I found helpful for set-up was this video by Stuart James, which takes you through the steps of setting up the settings and assigning them to a specific button on the camera:

Cheers
Mike

That's what I like about it GiG - I don't need to change anything - just press the button!

One serious BiF expert even does it the other way round - his default setting is for BiF, and he presses the button to activate the perched bird setting.

Western Tanager - One more thing I found helpful for set-up was this video by Stuart James, which takes you through the steps of setting up the settings and assigning them to a specific button on the camera:

Cheers
Mike
I'll have a look at that thanks.

I've posted some more shots with these settings here.

One thing to note - the +1.7 exposure adjustment works well for BiFs against the sky, but not so much against less bright backgrounds. I put that question back to the poster of the original settings and he agree, suggesting a lower +0.9 as a compromise, but emphasised the need to experiment.

Cheers
Mike

I've posted some more shots with these settings here.

One thing to note - the +1.7 exposure adjustment works well for BiFs against the sky, but not so much against less bright backgrounds. I put that question back to the poster of the original settings and he agree, suggesting a lower +0.9 as a compromise, but emphasised the need to experiment.

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike,

I set up the camera with these settings and found it much quicker to flip between between static and BIF so thanks for posting about it. Tested this out at Minsmere recently and it worked well - I was photographing the Whooper Swan when the Great Egret flew over. Previously I wouldn't have had time to switch to get that flight photo.

I have noticed that +1.7 is mostly OK against the sky, although the light has been generally poor recently (the day I headed out was one of the few sunny days recently) and I would tend to go over +2. Agree not so good against dark backgrounds and that is the one advantage of having it set in MR, is that you can adjust if needed.

I have the camera set to static via pre-set on MR and can then press the Focus Hold button for BIF but it does allow me to swap to the different settings on MR where I can adjust if required.

I headed to my old patch afterwards and you can get reasonably close to the birds.

Gi

Attachments

• Whooper Swan.jpg
    Whooper Swan.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Great Egret.jpg
    Great Egret.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Lapwing.jpg
    Lapwing.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 86
  • Little Egret.jpg
    Little Egret.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 77
Hello

What is the process of sharing my photos to my smartphone- do you have to use the Sony app as it fails to work for me

Many thanks

Josh

Hi Josh.

Its a frustrating process!

Are you using the Camrote app? Once I installed this on my phone I was able to download straight to phone, but its still a bit hit and miss.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Josh.

Its a frustrating process!

Are you using the Camrote app? Once I installed this on my phone I was able to download straight to phone, but its still a bit hit and miss.

Cheers
Mike
That’s great I will give that a go - thanks for the reply

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back