• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SoSo Swarovski Service (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankac

I bought the EL 12x50 shortly after their release about seven years ago. When I first got them I enjoyed the view but was unhappy with a stiff focus that made the narrow depth of field hard to deal with. I also noticed that both objectives had smudges on the inside of the lens. In any event I have used them for years until this spring when on a birding trip I ran into another 12x50 user who had the fp model which had no focus problem and no smudges on the inside of the objectives. I decided to send my 12x50's in for service. I had talked to Swarovski when I first bought the bins and was assured that they would look at them and address my quality questions at any time I wanted. True to their word they happily sent my the required docs to send my bins in for service. I asked them to look at the focus, the smears on the inside of the objective and I asked for the new lower profile eyecups.
Three weeks after sending my 12x50's in they were sent back. Very happy at the quick turn around I opened the box and examined the bins. The focus did seem improved, and I was very happy to see the new eyecups, they were lower profile and did help with eye relief. Then I turned the bins over and looked at the objectives in the sunlight, I was surprised, and very disappointed to see smudges on the outer objectives ( I sent them in cleaned ) and on the inside of the objective I could see that my smudges were gone, but replaced by different smudges or residue of some sort. My first happiness with the quick turnaround disappeared and was replaced by the feeling that I would rather wait a week or so longer and get back properly cleaned optics.
I guess my sarcasm is borne out the belief this service for my bins would not have taken a tech more than a half hour or so, why not check to ensure the lenses were clean.

I bought the EL 12x50 shortly after their release about seven years ago. When I first got them I enjoyed the view but was unhappy with a stiff focus that made the narrow depth of field hard to deal with. I also noticed that both objectives had smudges on the inside of the lens. In any event I have used them for years until this spring when on a birding trip I ran into another 12x50 user who had the fp model which had no focus problem and no smudges on the inside of the objectives. I decided to send my 12x50's in for service. I had talked to Swarovski when I first bought the bins and was assured that they would look at them and address my quality questions at any time I wanted. True to their word they happily sent my the required docs to send my bins in for service. I asked them to look at the focus, the smears on the inside of the objective and I asked for the new lower profile eyecups.
Three weeks after sending my 12x50's in they were sent back. Very happy at the quick turn around I opened the box and examined the bins. The focus did seem improved, and I was very happy to see the new eyecups, they were lower profile and did help with eye relief. Then I turned the bins over and looked at the objectives in the sunlight, I was surprised, and very disappointed to see smudges on the outer objectives ( I sent them in cleaned ) and on the inside of the objective I could see that my smudges were gone, but replaced by different smudges or residue of some sort. My first happiness with the quick turnaround disappeared and was replaced by the feeling that I would rather wait a week or so longer and get back properly cleaned optics.
I guess my sarcasm is borne out the belief this service for my bins would not have taken a tech more than a half hour or so, why not check to ensure the lenses were clean.
Can you please tell me when did you send your binoculars in for service? Was it recently? I am not sure if you saw my thread but I had similar disappointing experience twice in last one year. My binoculars were sent back multiple times but came back in worse and worse condition everytime. At one point I had paint chips, glue marks and dust in lenses all at once. Austrian service center is better than USA.

Can you please tell me when did you send your binoculars in for service? Was it recently? I am not sure if you saw my thread but I had similar disappointing experience twice in last one year. My binoculars were sent back multiple times but came back in worse and worse condition everytime. At one point I had paint chips, glue marks and dust in lenses all at once. Austrian service center is better than USA.
I didn't see your thread sorry. SONA sent me an email saying they got the binoculars on 6 May and I got them back 2 days ago, 26 May. I must say your experience doesn't inspire confidence in the process. I had resisted sending my 1250 in, the time required, the risk etc etc. I also have the 832 el with a focus that is loose one way and stiff the other and a 1050fp that works well but had a defect in the plastic near the eagle or hawk. I won't be sending those in anytime soon.
In all fairness the 1250 focus is a bit better but time will tell if the stiffness is resolved. My issues don't seem as unpleasant as yours, I'm guessing your binoculars didn't go to Austria either.

I didn't see your thread sorry. SONA sent me an email saying they got the binoculars on 6 May and I got them back 2 days ago, 26 May. I must say your experience doesn't inspire confidence in the process. I had resisted sending my 1250 in, the time required, the risk etc etc. I also have the 832 el with a focus that is loose one way and stiff the other and a 1050fp that works well but had a defect in the plastic near the eagle or hawk. I won't be sending those in anytime soon.
In all fairness the 1250 focus is a bit better but time will tell if the stiffness is resolved. My issues don't seem as unpleasant as yours, I'm guessing your binoculars didn't go to Austria either.
Binoculars and non illuminated riflescopes are serviced in USA. I dont US facility is at the same level as Austria when it comes to experienced labor, equipment or cleanliness. For example when they glued the Swarovski logo on my ELs , it was crooked and had glue leaking around it. Dust inside the lenses is a common thing from my experience.
I wish I could send my binoculars to Austria!
This is the same reason I don’t buy Swarovski products assembled in USA.

Last edited:
Binoculars and non illuminated riflescopes are serviced in USA. I dont US facility is at the same level as Austria when it comes to experienced labor, equipment or cleanliness. For example when they glues the Swarovski logo on my ELs , it was crooked and had glue leaking around it. Dust inside the lenses is a common thing from my experience.
I wish I could send my binoculars to Austria!
This is the same reason I don’t buy Swarovski products assembled in USA.
The plastic around my hawk logo on my 1050fp was sticking out, when I called the sona service, they told me I could crazy glue it down or send it in for service. I just glued it down, it doesn’t affect the performance. If you look closely at my repair it looks sloppy

The plastic around my hawk logo on my 1050fp was sticking out, when I called the sona service, they told me I could crazy glue it down or send it in for service. I just glued it down, it doesn’t affect the performance. If you look closely at my repair it looks sloppy
But you are not supposed to glue it. You just push it in and it clicks into a groove.

What worries me is in recent years USA service quality has hit an all time low in many products imo, a quick talk with what seems to be more often than not, seems to suggest unqualified employees that could care less at many places of business. And I say unqualified because some I have spoken with don’t even know their own products.

Again, as to Swaro I’ve personally never experienced an issue with Swarovski and always thought of their CS as the best, hope that’s not changing anytime soon.

What I can say is I had a great experience with Leica recently and super fast turnaround. Their new warranty brings them back to top status imo. We may see a changing of the guard so to speak with Leica, hopefully so anyway, because great CS/warranty is a big part of my buying decision when it comes to the big 3.

Last edited:
Worlds best phone , electronics , clothes etc are slowly moving to Asian countries. Soon the fishermen and hillbillies working in SONA will realize that market can turn anytime if customers don't support you and buy your product. This level of arrogance is unacceptable.

There was a thread on CN about a pair of 8X30 Habicht porro glass that came back with some blemishes after the repair/service. The matter was eventually resolved. In your case, It should be resolved - between you and Swarovski, not here on the forum. We all know that issues can happen, (from other external/internal issues in repair/service etc).
I have never had any issue with the glass service from Swarovski, and if I did I would resolve it with them, no one else.

Andy W.

There was a thread on CN about a pair of 8X30 Habicht porro glass that came back with some blemishes after the repair/service. The matter was eventually resolved. In your case, It should be resolved - between you and Swarovski, not here on the forum. We all know that issues can happen, (from other external/internal issues in repair/service etc).
I have never had any issue with the glass service from Swarovski, and if I did I would resolve it with them, no one else.

Andy W.
I am hoping they will resolve it but It will take them couple tries.

Worlds best phone , electronics , clothes etc are slowly moving to Asian countries. Soon the fishermen and hillbillies working in SONA will realize that market can turn anytime if customers don't support you and buy your product. This level of arrogance is unacceptable.
J,

You are the typical unsatisfied customer and no one here on this Forum can judge if your claims are legit.
Calling the staff of SONA, who are very well respected people, a bunch of fishermen and hillbillies because they don't met your satisfaction is not the way to go IMHO. Maybe your level of communication is unacceptable?
The pics don't convince me but knowing SONA/Swarovski they will do the possible thing to meet your satisfaction.
The possible thing and sometimes in my experience the impossible things also.

Your actions give me the impression that you are doing what a customer of mine threatened to do a few months ago when I impossible could meet his expectations. Quote: "If you don't fix it I will destroy you on the Internet".
I gave him the choice to leave the shop vertical or horizontal.

Jan

In the case of optical repairs, the situations described by the author can often occur. The Swarovski are no exception. I had to send my FL 8x32 to the ZEISS customer service three times. As a result, the binoculars were perfect. The staff of the service was always extremely correct and benevolent, and all the expenses for customs and delivery were compensated to me in full. For that, a huge thank you to the service team of ZEISS Germany. And, as it was very correctly said above, such issues are solved by direct communication with the company's employees.

J,

You are the typical unsatisfied customer and no one here on this Forum can judge if your claims are legit.
Calling the staff of SONA, who are very well respected people, a bunch of fishermen and hillbillies because they don't met your satisfaction is not the way to go IMHO. Maybe your level of communication is unacceptable?
The pics don't convince me but knowing SONA/Swarovski they will do the possible thing to meet your satisfaction.
The possible thing and sometimes in my experience the impossible things also.

Your actions give me the impression that you are doing what a customer of mine threatened to do a few months ago when I impossible could meet his expectations. Quote: "If you don't fix it I will destroy you on the Internet".
I gave him the choice to leave the shop vertical or horizontal.

Jan
I cannot post the whole details of communications here so you don't know the whole thing. For me dust is not acceptable in the lenses. PERIOD!
Harley Davidson was the biggest motorcycle manufacturer. They did not keep up with time and trends and were very arrogant. They are struggling now. The new generation is already loosing interest in outdoor sports. So for customer retention, they need to clean their facilities. What's the big deal.
I don't value your comment because you are a dealer. So you are biased.

In the case of optical repairs, the situations described by the author can often occur. The Swarovski are no exception. I had to send my FL 8x32 to the ZEISS customer service three times. As a result, the binoculars were perfect. The staff of the service was always extremely correct and benevolent, and all the expenses for customs and delivery were compensated to me in full. For that, a huge thank you to the service team of ZEISS Germany. And, as it was very correctly said above, such issues are solved by direct communication with the company's employees.
Thank you for your comment.
That's all I am expecting as well. Just a clean pair. Instead of doing the service in rush, SONA should take their time and inspect the binocular before sending back.
Swarovski fanboys and dealers are attacking me instead because they are biased.

I cannot post the whole details of communications here so you don't know the whole thing. For me dust is not acceptable in the lenses. PERIOD!
Harley Davidson was the biggest motorcycle manufacturer. They did not keep up with time and trends and were very arrogant. They are struggling now. The new generation is already loosing interest in outdoor sports. So for customer retention, they need to clean their facilities. What's the big deal.
I don't value your comment because you are a dealer. So you are biased.
Jaymann,

Do you know what it takes to have a dust free facility?
It's called a white room, and believe me, if a manufacturer was investing in that type of facility, the price of Binos would be multiplied by 2 or 3.

Even Leica M Summicron photo lenses costing a premium had some dust in them sometimes, because dust always find a way to get in.
And it didn't matter, because it never changed anything on the picture.
And it's exactly the same thing with Binoculars.
Even Porsche or Ferrari owners don't get perfect cars, when they cost way more than binoculars. And I know some of them.

You're expecting a perfect bino, but they are made and serviced by humans, who are not perfect...

Sir, I am just disappointed with all the fake promises.
I am very surprised to hear this given I had been in sports optics for over 10 years, visited the Austrian factory on a 3 day tour and never ever heard a negative response from any customer. I hope it is resolved to your expectations and that you can update this thread in the affirmative.

I'm confident that Jan did everything in his negotiations with the awkward customer but owners can ask someone to leave if they become difficult, threatening or intimidating. Boasting that they will blacken a successful and established business by social media is tantamount to bullying, harassment or even blackmail.
Good luck.

I am very surprised to hear this given I had been in sports optics for over 10 years, visited the Austrian factory on a 3 day tour and never ever heard a negative response from any customer. I hope it is resolved to your expectations and that you can update this thread in the affirmative.

I'm confident that Jan did everything in his negotiations with the awkward customer but owners can ask someone to leave if they become difficult, threatening or intimidating. Boasting that they will blacken a successful and established business by social media is tantamount to bullying, harassment or even blackmail.
Good luck.
I am hoping the same. I started this thread but I am not the first one, a lot of users have posted their good or bad experiences with customer service from various brands on this forum. This thread of becoming rude because some dealers/fans/trolls are attacking me.
Thanks, I will keep this thread honest. And continue to buy Swarovski products in future if they keep up the quality.
Two years ago Meopta was having the same issue. I had to send one scope and one binocular back. I communicated with Meopta and since then I have bought 2 new binoculars which were perfect and I have placed order for one riflescope. I have one S2 spotter which has no issues. Meopta listened and improved their process or I got lucky!

Jaymann,

Do you know what it takes to have a dust free facility?
It's called a white room, and believe me, if a manufacturer was investing in that type of facility, the price of Binos would be multiplied by 2 or 3.

Even Leica M Summicron photo lenses costing a premium had some dust in them sometimes, because dust always find a way to get in.
And it didn't matter, because it never changed anything on the picture.
And it's exactly the same thing with Binoculars.
Even Porsche or Ferrari owners don't get perfect cars, when they cost way more than binoculars. And I know some of them.

You're expecting a perfect bino, but they are made and serviced by humans, who are not perfect...
I understand more than you think! I have Masters in Aerospace Engineering. So I have have extensive knowledge about materials, physics, manufacturing etc. Perfection might not be possible but other people are posting about grease/ glue/swipe marks etc as well. So there are some slip ups. Which happens but they should try to improve, that's all we are asking.
Picture has my academic credentials for your reference.

Attachments

• 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 47
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back