• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa ID help (2 Viewers)

Jynx

Mike King aka The Gloster Birder, Keeping Gloster
Hi
I was in South Africa last week and after poring over books I have almost resolved my list. However I have some species of which I have either a poor pic or in some cases a good one and still can't arrive at an ID. Can you help please?

This first one a flycatcher 2 birds, same species I think. Difficult LBJ

Attachments

• Fly1.jpg
    Fly1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Fly2.jpg
    Fly2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 33
  • Fly3.jpg
    Fly3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi
I was in South Africa last week and after poring over books I have almost resolved my list. However I have some species of which I have either a poor pic or in some cases a good one and still can't arrive at an ID. Can you help please?

Next a hawk and an eagle, I think I know what these are but would appreciate some input.

Attachments

• DSCN9635.jpg
    DSCN9635.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN9638.jpg
    DSCN9638.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Eagle.jpg
    Eagle.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 33
Hi

This next one a chat? at Tydon Safari camp, Sabi Sands, Kruger.

Attachments

• Chat.jpg
    Chat.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
These next ones a cisticola? and a thrush (Olive?) all at Tydon Safari camp, Sabi Sands, Kruger.

Attachments

• DSCN0182.jpg
    DSCN0182.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0183.jpg
    DSCN0183.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN9238.jpg
    DSCN9238.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0262.jpg
    DSCN0262.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 24
No books here in Russia but the perched raptor in the second set is Gabar Goshawk.

Birds in the first set look like Scrub Robins, Karoo?

A

This next one a seedeater?, a mannikin? and a pipit (African?) all at Tydon Safari camp, Sabi Sands, Kruger.
And a distant Wheatear at Alzu Petropark, Capped?

Attachments

• DSCN9032.jpg
    DSCN9032.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN9979.jpg
    DSCN9979.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Pipit.jpg
    Pipit.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 31
Finally a small yellow finch, not Yellow-fronted Canary, no facial markings? at Sabi Sands.

Additionally I had a bird (no pic) at Lisbon Falls, Mpumalanga that looked a bit like a yellowhammer. That sort of size, predominately yellow, dark facial markings and a tail like a grassbird with pin points in it? Not much to go on I know but thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN9648.jpg
    DSCN9648.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN9649.jpg
    DSCN9649.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 26
Can I suggest that you load the max 5 pics in separate threads, it make sit much easier for people to comment?

A

OK sorry I don't come here often. If it's too difficult I'll start again, couldn't delete posts when I tried.

Hi

This next one a chat? at Tydon Safari camp, Sabi Sands, Kruger.

Pale Flycatcher for this one, I think.

These next ones a cisticola? and a thrush (Olive?) all at Tydon Safari camp, Sabi Sands, Kruger.

Do you have any more photos of the thrush (even ropey ones)? It looks like Olive but I'm not certain I can rule out Kurrichane. It's definitely nort Karoo Thrush.

Finally a small yellow finch, not Yellow-fronted Canary, no facial markings? at Sabi Sands.

Additionally I had a bird (no pic) at Lisbon Falls, Mpumalanga that looked a bit like a yellowhammer. That sort of size, predominately yellow, dark facial markings and a tail like a grassbird with pin points in it? Not much to go on I know but thanks.

Yep, first one is a weaver - Village or Red-headed are a couple of options but may not be identifiable from those photos alone.

This next one a seedeater?, a mannikin? and a pipit (African?) all at Tydon Safari camp, Sabi Sands, Kruger.
And a distant Wheatear at Alzu Petropark, Capped?

I'd be looking among the Viduidae (whydahs & indigobirds) for an identification for the first bird, and it looks like there are some long central tail-feathers growing, so that should narrow it down. How about a young male Pin-tailed Whydah?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back