• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South African birding (1 Viewer)

Kalispera

Hi all,
Just pondering with the idea of spending a short time in South Africa, to be precise Kruger or the Limpopo area.
Has anyone on here birded these areas?, do you book a flight only and meet guides/contacts out there? Would be interested in your comments.
Thanks in anticipation.
Kalispera

Kalispera said:
Hi all,
Just pondering with the idea of spending a short time in South Africa, to be precise Kruger or the Limpopo area.
Has anyone on here birded these areas?, do you book a flight only and meet guides/contacts out there? Would be interested in your comments.
Thanks in anticipation.
Kalispera

Do you really need a guide? There's a good field guide and although I can't comment on Limpopo as I haven't been there Kruger is certainly easy - and to my mind a lot more satisfying to do yourself. I suggest flying to J'burg and hire a car. If going during the school holidays you will need to book Kruger, even if camping.

Let me know if you want more gen. Forgot to say I loved South Africa.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Babbs said:
Do you really need a guide? There's a good field guide and although I can't comment on Limpopo as I haven't been there Kruger is certainly easy - and to my mind a lot more satisfying to do yourself. I suggest flying to J'burg and hire a car. If going during the school holidays you will need to book Kruger, even if camping.

Let me know if you want more gen. Forgot to say I loved South Africa.

Steve

I'm with you there. No need for a guide for Kruger. Just hire a car and camp. Make sure you're the first to leave the encampment in the morning and last back at night, snoozing at midday. Amazing birdlife (as well as beasts of course) although not being able to get out of the car makes things difficult sometimes (I saw few bush loving small passerines). But the lions help to clarify why one must stay in the car. Unless you have a birding guide a guide will probably just hinder your chances of seeing birds, especially if youre sharing the tour with non-birders (always a disaster).

Definately a self drive will prove more satisfying. I was over there 18 months, tho didn't go to either area you mention (too much else!) and booking accomm and a suitable car is easy in advance. Avoid school holidays. South Africa has a good infrastructure. Sinclair's Field Guide 'Birds of Southern Africa' can be bought easily there and recommended.

Hello, I just posted a message with a link to my recent trip report to South Africa last May, which included Kruger NP. Initially I wasn't too thrilled about visiting Kruger, having heard some tales about it being overcrowded, with tarred roads and huge camps that give the place a "safari park" feeling, together with the fact that it's not allowed to get out of your car.

After being there I must say that some of this is true, but if you get off the main roads and into the dirt tracks you can get away from all that. It certainly helps if you have a guide who knows the park and the trail network, but they are usually well-marked and you can drive for hours without seeing a single vehicle. And the amount and variety of birds (and other wildlife) is amazing.

I certainly reccommend it if you are in SA. A guide would enhance your chances, but driving alone can be very rewarding too. Take a look at my report and many photos taken at Kruger: http://www.iyufera.com/htm/tr-southafrica-01.htm

Best regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back