• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Jersey thread (2 Viewers)

The only used F mount I would bother with is the 500PF, I used it for years and it really is a great lens. On mirrorless you need the FTZ to mate it with Z mount but it’s a short, lightweight lens anyway and you hardly know it’s there. I hear it’s pretty good with the F mount 1.4TC III but I’m not a fan of teleconverters so never tried it myself. I sold mine to a friend just a couple of weeks ago and he’s thrilled with it on his DSLR. I obtained the Z 180-600 early on and loved it. Z180-600 at Bombay Hook The early morning shots were not the 180-600. Z180-600. It’s really is a superb lens for the price but Nikon the b@$tards, did the dirty on me. They released the unannounced Z mount 600PF which is awesome. I sold the 180-600 to a friend and he is taking great shots with it.

I have experience with most of the Nikon long lenses but here is a guy that is far better to inform you of them. Steve Perry Z180-600

Happy to try and answer any questions you might have. 👍

I'm 2nd on this! I recommended the 500PF before to Dak and it is a decent lens, despite of being one stop slower. And no need to get a Second Mortgage.
But I would recommend to test the Z180-600mm first.

I'm 2nd on this! I recommended the 500PF before to Dak and it is a decent lens, despite of being one stop slower. And no need to get a Second Mortgage.
But I would recommend to test the Z180-600mm first.
Absolutely agree. The earlier 500mm f/4 lenses are not a whole lot better than the 500PF, much longer and heavier and I’d personally be wary of spare parts availability for them whereas the 500PF is more current.

Thanks guys, but my mind is made up. 500 prime with a Z mount and 1.4 teleconverter. I will pull the trigger soon. I will keep my 200 to 500 zoom if I need to go smaller.

Thanks guys, but my mind is made up. 500 prime with a Z mount and 1.4 teleconverter. I will pull the trigger soon. I will keep my 200 to 500 zoom if I need to go smaller.
What camera do you own? I presume it's a Z something and as you're already using an F mount 200-500 you must already own the FTZ. You do realize that to use the 500 prime with a 1.4 teleconverter you have to use the F mount TC-14E III. If you're thinking of the 500PF f/5.6 with the 1.4 teleconverter your minimum f stop will be f/8.

What camera do you own? I presume it's a Z something and as you're already using an F mount 200-500 you must already own the FTZ. You do realize that to use the 500 prime with a 1.4 teleconverter you have to use the F mount TC-14E III. If you're thinking of the 500PF f/5.6 with the 1.4 teleconverter your minimum f stop will be f/8.
Thanks Mike. Since Nikon doesn't make a z mount 500 prime I think I will try a 400 prime with a 1.4tc. Fingers crossed!

And a few more. I'm probably coming back on Wednesday afternoon.

Attachments

• R7001626 copy.jpg
    R7001626 copy.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 2
  • R7001424 copy.jpg
    R7001424 copy.jpg
    964.6 KB · Views: 2
Nice shots Ed. I'm betting that juvie cooper's is the one that hangs out on gull pond road? I might be able to go tomorrow. Text me.

I have seen more ghosts this winter at FNWR than ever before. Great capture! I posted one doimg a bank on the gallery.
I didn't go up to see the blue tail. I'll bet it was a circus show :). But that's good bc it shows that brdng is becoming popular.

Dak, I apologize. I went to Barnegat yesterday and forgot to tell you I was going. I called in to the Bluetail on the way home but didn’t see it this time. Apparently it’s not as regular at the moment. There were about 10 people there at most yesterday. You should go as Harry Riker the homeowner is a nice guy. Take him a bag of dried mealworms. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back