• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Peru, July-August 2006 (1 Viewer)

Sorry this took so long...

(PS Trev, thanks for the Arequipa advice)

Part 4(b)
Amazonia Lodge continued...

The Tapirs rocked. Both of them. Neither more than the other. Both had equal rocking attributes. Although the second came closer to us, so it could be argued that the second rocked ever so slightly more than the first. But if that was the case then there really wasn’t much in it. Tapirs rock.

However, everyone knows that mammals are no comaprison to birds, and we were soon back to enjoying the avifauna around the lake. A Rufescent Tiger-Heron was a real bonus surprise, a Grey-necked Wood-Rail gave better views than the one I flushed before, Gray-fronted Doves were calling all over the place (they sound just like the Runnelstone bouy at Porthgwarra in Cornwall, and if you don‘t know what that sounds like then go there, because I don’t have the vocabulary to eloquently describe it), and we also had great views of Black-tailed and Blue-crowned Trogons. Anyway, this Army Ant swarm that Mike had found…

… was nowhere to be found. But walking back along the Jeep Trail we were bombarded by new birds, including Pygmy Antwren, Warbling Antbird, Yellow-browed Tody-Flycatcher (a canopy neck-breaker), plus garage-loads of ‘fodder’ including what I think was the only bird at Amazonia Lodge that I’d seen before: Red-eyd Vireo. So we couldn’t find Mike’s Army Ant swarm, but no matter, because we found our own. Hooray! On the trail the ‘swarm’ was only about 4-5 inches wide, but there was clearly a lot of birdy noise coming from just off the trail in the dense bamboo. So without a second thought for our own lives (ahem), we headed off the trail and into the bamboo, care-free and unconcerned about the potential dangers posed by Bushmaster and Fer-de-Lance snakes, as well as Jaguars, Giant Otters, Castanet Fish, Wolfmen, Kangaroos and a mythical creature of the jungle, only sighted a few times, that has been described as being half dog and half cheese, although I can’t remember which half was which. I think I read about it on Wikipedia.

As we followed the Army Ant trail into the bamboo it began to form a proper swarm, in places over a foot wide, and sure enough the birds were there to take advantage. Squatting down to get a good view, we soon saw a Sooty Antbird drop down to the floor from low in the bamboo to pick off some unfortunate ants, and the ready supply of food made a few Woodcreepers much easier to watch than usual, these being Plain-brown, Long-tailed and Black-banded. But few images from the whole trip are as memorable as the soggy Black-spotted Bare-eye, sat in a narrow shaft of sunlight and shivering itself dry. Beautiful bird! There was also plenty of other things that we’d seen before but were now enjoying better views of; however, after some time we noticed that the ants had taken a bit of a fancy to us and decided to surround us, and as The Beatles once sang: “It’s hard to dance when you’re covered in ants, ooh baby, ooh baby.” Moving ever closer, we decided it was time to retreat and head back to the trail. Back in the open we were visually assaulted by literally thousands of ] Swifts swarming overhead, with dozens of tightly packed flocks circling at all altitudes; there were plenty of enormous White-collred but they were mostly small Chaetura swifts and impossible to ID with these views, however, some were occasionally distinctive enough by silhouette to have as Short-tailed Swifts, but 99% of them were beyond my feeble neotropical skills. Heading back to the lodge we picked up a Cabanis’ Spinetail and heard a Blue-crowned Manakin, but the lodge clearing itself finally showed us the goods with a sensationally superb male Rufous-crested Coquette - phwoaaarr!

After such an enjoyable start to the day, we stayed in the clearing after lunch picking up Creamy-bellied and Black-billed Thrushes, as well as Per telling us that what sounded almost like a Blackbird was actually a Hauxwell’s Thrush. A static Yellow-crowned Tyrannulet was scoped from the veranda, with a female Yellow-bellied Dacnis in the same view, and a Lemon-throated Barbet could be heard up on the hillside in the distance. Dead bird of the day went to a male Round-tailed Manakin that had flown into a wall and was found by Mike’s dad. We gave it a decent send-off and threw it in the bin for the Cheese Dog to have later on.

Per had been travelling in Peru for 8 weeks and had amassed a colossal list of over 800 birds, including 70 species of hummingbird! But he still needed Amethyst Woodstar, the stunning little hummer which had been showing well from the veranda right up until… err… Per arrived! His lust for hummers kept him on the veranda as Fabrice, Miss Cole and I went out around the back of the lodge to sort out some unfinished business. Since we arrived, and almost everywhere at Amazonia Lodge, we kept hearing Amazonian Antpitta, but all of them were just too far off the trail to have a chance of seeing them or using playback. But behind the lodge there appeared to be some calling very close to the trail by the little stream. It was the best chance so far. Not far around the back there was a bird singing very close to the trail, but still just too deep in the dense undergrowth to prevent any chance of catching a glimpse. Fabrice tried some playback and the bird responded immediately and slightly louder. We squatted down in anticipation and hoped that its curiosity was now sufficient for it to come out to the edge of the trail. After a couple of minutes the bird stopped calling. Now what? Well, it had stopped calling because it was staring straight at us just to my left - phwoooaaarrr again! On paper not as attractive as some of the more colourful things that day, but by way of its behaviour and the quality of views we were treated to, this was definitely as good as, or even better than, anything else this brilliant day had to offer. A Blackish Antbird and ever-present Black-throated Antbirds frantically called as the sun set and a gorgeous, little, fat Chestnut-capped Puffbird closed the daylight proceedings.

After going back to meet Per at the lodge (Per still awaiting a view of the Woodstar), the four of us, along with Mike and his dad, headed back out to see if we could stand a better chance with this Long-tailed Potoo, which apparently, “delights visitors at the edge of the clearing.” De nada. Nothing. Not a single Long-tailed Potoo anywhere. Then as we headed deeper into the black a Ferruginous
Pygmy-Owl decided to call briefly, but where it was we never worked out. But all was not lost. As hummers whizzed past our ears in the pitch black, a mournful and haunting call wailed out of the trees - Common Potoo. Fabrice torched the bird close to the track, cor blimey!, and we all watched it well for about 15 minutes, seeing and hearing it regularly call like a wounded Cheese Dog. (According to Wikipedia many nocturnal records of Cheese Dog have been false and actually refer to Common Potoo, so be on your guard: Cheese Dogs are out there. You have been warned.) “Beer, beer, we want more beer,” sang the Macc Lads, but not too much as I was paying for it, so it was just a bottle of Cusquena each to celebrate a great day of neotropical birdspottering. Night night!

The weather so far, at both Pilocopata and Amazonia, had been as regular as regular can be: each day would start mild and damp with clouds hanging low over the trees, then as things warmed up the clouds vanished and the humidity reached dehydration point, before the sun set and the rain began. And by rain, I mean RAIN, and not just wussy big-girl’s-blouse rain like we get in the UK and moan about all the time. This was man’s rain, and I don’t meant that in a sexist way. But anyway, the weather was different today; for a start it was cold and it was also still raining by mid-morning. Oh no! We’d been hit by a friaje. Aarrgghh! A what? A friaje? Yep, a friaje, a freak cold front that occasionally sweeps through the lowlands. But how would the birds react to this?

Well the birds didn’t seem to give a sh… I mean a care in the World. Miss Cole heard another Wattled Guan at dawn, but the wierdness of that call was today totally eclipsed by a screaming Horned Screamer, a bird as big as a small child but with super-powers, allowing it to remain totally invisible. Totally invisible. Still, it provided an amazing soundscape-type background thing to the birds that did have the decency and good manners to show themselves, including a Capped Heron, 2 Cobalt-winged Parakeets, a Fine-barred Piculet, 5 Yellow-tufted Woodpeckers sat neatly in a line along a single branch, 3+ Chestnut-eared Aracari and, best of all, a Cuvier’s Toucan - a real proper Toucan with a massive whopping great big bill, so big that… well anyway, it was big. Walking back for a late breakfast, Miss Cole found a brilliant Pale-legged Hornero tossing leaves on the track, and then as we rounded the corner back to the lodge something went, “quack-quack,” and this was clearly a quack-quack that was clearly well worth seeing. There was rustling afoot in a tree just behind us, but absolutely no chance of seeing anything, so it was pishing time, which is a bit like Chico Time, only better. And for those of you with a life that never watched X-Factor - and therefore have no idea who Chico is, or what Chico Time is - then it doesn’t matter so just ignore it. But pishing sent it mad, and soon we were treated to full-on hardcore views of not one but two Solitary Caciques - not at all common, and a great end to the morning.

Although bird activity was still pretty high, the rain was no fun for the hummers, so there was no excuse to sit on the veranda today (damn!) so we had to go out and walk. We bumped into Per and Fabrice who were now leaving and heading off to Pilcopata, so after saying goodbye we took a walk down the Jeep Trail, again seeing what was presumably the same Rufescent Tiger-Heron as yesterday, and then after a long loop around the lake and down to the river we managed to see 2 Cinereous Tinamous, Buff-throated Woodcreeper, Buff-throated Foliage-gleaner (it was National Buff-throated Day), a male Band-tailed Antbird, 5+ Goeldi’s Antbirds calling like mad and one of them showing like mad, and a Black-capped Donacobius (I swear I’m not just making these names up). But there was only one real winner today. Just ten metres down the track in front of us was what by silhouette looked like a small rail running about after worms. But this was no rubbishy rail. This was far better. This was at last a Black-faced Antthrush, and well worth the wait.

After joining up with Mike and his parents for dinner, we headed out for one last night of Owling, again seeing a Tawny-bellied Screech-Owl and hearing both the Common and Great Potoos. With just Mike and myself left, we wandered around the clearing and heard a barking in the distance: Crested Owl! A brief bit of playback had no effect so we left it alone, but just as we were walking back to the veranda a seriously scary Spectacled Owl decided to start calling - blinkin’ flip!

Our final morning was spent walking what had become our favourite trails around the lake and behind the lodge, thankfully finally seeing a Phaethornis hummer that we could at last ID - Koepcke’s Hermit, great views of the showy Silvered Antbirds and a final look at the high quality Hoatzins. After a final breakfast of pancakes, we spent the last hour on the veranda watching the Coquette and a tiny Blue-tailed Emerald beat the crap out of each other, as well as 2 Undulated Tinamous and another Pale-legged Hornero.

Amazonia Lodge was absolutely brilliant. I can’t describe just how much we both enjoyed ourselves; you could stay here for weeks and you’d never stop adding new birds. So we reluctantly said our goodbyes to Mike and his parents, as well as the fantastically friendly owners Nelly and Santiago Yabar, before leaving the clearing for one last time and heading back down to the river to catch our boat to take us 3 hours downstream, and to Pantiacolla Lodge.

Last edited:
Part 5
Pantiacolla Lodge

Sat by the river waiting for the boat to arrive, we occupied our time watching four species of vulture (King, Greater Yellow-headed, Turkey and Black), a Little Ground-Tyrant and vast numbers of White-winged, White-banded and Southern Rough-winged Swallow skimming low over the water. Snowy Egrets and Neotropical Cormorants were everywhere. The boat ride has to be in the top five best things about the whole trip, sat in a narrow motorised canoe in the middle of a broad and fast running river, completely surrounded by rainforest, as we passed fishing Ringed and Amazon Kingfishers, Large-billed Terns, giant Cocoi Herons, had close views of Fasciated Tiger-Herons, a single Rufescent Tiger-Heron, a gathering of Black Vultures feeding on what seemed to be the spine of a cow, totally dwarfed by an enormous King Vulture towering over them, and an Otter eating a fish in the shallows, for which the boatman kindly slowed down and veered in the direction of. It wasn’t a Giant Otter, so presumably an Amazon Otter? We shared the boat with the boatman’s young wife and their infant daughter, she just went along for the ride every time he went out, presumably never tiring of the spectacular surroundings. It would be pretty difficult to ever tire of it! Imagine being in the opening credits of Apocalypse Now, but without the fire, helicopters and rubbish music by The Doors, and just pretend that Cambodia is actually Peru, and that was exactly what it was like. Exactly. With the recent rains the water level was very high, so heading downstream was much faster than usual, the journey taking almost an hour less than expected. As we pulled up on the beach Gustavo, Pantiacolla’s lodge manager, greeted us and took us up to the clearing, a similar set up to Amazonia Lodge but with a much more isolated feel. Just as we were throwing our gear into the room, Gustavo shouted to show us a party of Red-collared Monkeys passing through the tree tops.

It was mid-afternoon and we were keen to get out and enjoy the last few hours, so we started on the nearby Tinamou Trail. White-cheeked Tody-Tyrant was one of the first birds we saw, a Pantiacolla speciality, followed by another speciality a pair of Flammulated Bamboo-Tyrants. The Bamboo-Tyrants seemed to be common, but after a while I worked out that it was actually just this one really showy pair following us, and, thinking about, I’m not actually sure that we ever saw any others! Thrush-like Antpitta were commonly heard and we at last managed to get good views of a pair of White-lined Antbirds, one of the commonest Ant-things at Amazonia, but something we never saw well. And how come with birding you spend ages trying to see certain new birds, then you see your first and the floodgates open and suddenly they’re everywhere? Well this is what started to happen with Black-faced Antthrushes, because now they were crossing tracks all over the place! (slight exaggeration; we saw two.) As the light receded we retraced our steps back along the Tinamou Trail and Miss Cole found the star bird of the day - a fantastic Red-billed Scythebill, something I really wanted to see (not that I wanted to see anything in particular, because - as you now know to the point of overkill - we didn’t want to see any other bird more than anything else blah blah blah etc…) and well worth the irreparable damage caused to my neck from looking straight vertically up at it. As we made our way back to the lodge we stopped by the river in the near dark and couldn’t quite believe that there were about 50 Sand-coloured Nighthawks chasing around low over the river. Thinking that was the end to a fantastic afternoon, we were then forced to run around the lodge clearing chasing after a Pauraque (a Nightjar) and again enjoy another Tawny-bellied Screech-Owl. All in all not a bad start.

We started our first full day with the Pauraque, then headed out on the Tinamou Trail and returned via the Capybara Trail. We said ‘hi’ to the Flammulated Bamboo-Tyrants and were then sonically violated by maniacally loud Speckled Chachalacas - shut up! Seriously guys - SHUT UP! You couldn’t hear anything else calling, so we hurried passed them along the trail to where we could actually hear ourselves think again; stupid bloody noises things. A canopy loving Pygmy Antwren tore further muscles in my neck and then the Ant-thing fest commenced, with White-flanked Antwren, White-eyed Antwren and Striated Antbird all showing brilliantly, as well as Warbling Antbird, White-lined Antbird, Goeldi’s Antbird, Black-spotted Bare-eye and Thrush-like Antpitta all showing not-so-brilliantly/not-at-all. Seeing a Thrush-like Wren up high in the canopy was a shock (a ‘wren’ in the canopy? Eh?) but seeing a/the (?) White-cheeked Tody-Tyrant in almost the same place as last night wasn’t quite so startling, but I pretended it was and acted really startled anyway; the Tody-Tyrant appreciated it. After lunch I watched a pair a of Black-and-white Seedeaters for about 5 seconds (I’d seen plenty at Pilcopata and there was now far too much else to see), but upon reading the checklist later that night and finding out that they were actually only the third record for the lodge they took on a different meaning, although I couldn’t find them again! We spent the rest of the day around the lodge clearing checking the ever-present Grey-capped Flycatchers for a Sulphury Flycatcher (just the one) and then went out on the Oropendola Trail. Yet another ****ing Phaethornis hummer sped straight past us (I haven’t been mentioning them all, but by now this was now about the 7th unidentifiable one), but a different one decided to actually hang around for more than a billionth of a second and allow us to see that it was a beautiful male Reddish Hermit. We got our only ever decent views of Pygmy Antwren on the steps leading from the clearing to the Oropendola Trail when a pair decided to venture out of the canopy and show themselves at head height - and very nice they were too. ‘Best song ever’ went to a wonderfully eery and impressively musical Musician Wren (of course I mean best bird song ever, everyone knows Cliff Richards’s epic Wired For Sound is the best song ever). But there was absolutely no argument as to the star bird today - the World’s smallest passerine - Short-tailed Pygmy-Tyrant, just 6.4cm! Read that again: 6.4cm. Wow! You’d better be adequately impressed. Sundown was spent sat on a log by the river watching the Nighthawks with a couple of Pauraques, and dozens of Fishing Bats left their roost just behind us and flew far too close to our heads for comfort. Evening was spent eating mountains of food and chatting to the ever-entertaining Gustavo (a brilliant host) about topics ranging from Marmite to motorbikes.

After hearing that amazing song we wanted another slice of Musician Wren pie (it’s supposed to be very tasty, especially with chips and gravy), so we started the day on the Aracari Trail, where yesterday’s bird seemed to be most closely singing from. All started swimmingly as an Olive-striped Flycatcher came inquisitively close, another Phaethornis hummer sp. took a further 5 years off my life through stress and both Ruddy and Pale-vented Pigeons was singing away in the tree tops. And then something barked. Plenty of things bark - dogs, sheep, cows, pigs, fish - only this was a bark that seemed to be saying, “Listen, mate, a bit of friendly advice here, I really wouldn’t come any closer if I were you.” Ha! Laughing in the face of danger, I walked closer to it and watched as masses of low vegetation swayed and crunched before the same bark was flung in my direction: whatever it was, it was big. We never did work out what it was either, largely because we were too busy running away. Retreating with risible cowardice, we were back on the Oropendola Trail where a Blue-crowned Manakin showed nicely as flocks of Tanagers constantly passed through the canopy, today’s new additions being White-winged Shrike-Tanager and Green-and-gold Tanager, as well as a couple of skulking Pectoral Sparrows. The friaje had fully cleared today so we took some time by the river with the scope to see if we could have any luck with raptors; there were plenty of vultures, but other than that we only had Plumbeous Kites catching insects and doing a pretty good impression of giant mutant Hobbies. Without a scope we never would have had the Collared Plover on the other side of the river, and it helped to sort out some of the distant terns, all of them Large-billed Terns, and it also gave us a nice view of a Giant Cowbird. Back in the clearing we at last had a Piratic Flycatcher as well as another Green-and-gold Tanager and an Orange-bellied Euphonia, before we headed back out on the Capybara Trail. The friaje had seemingly not bothered the birds at Amazonia Lodge, but at Pantiacolla it obviously had, because now that the cold front had passed the bird activity was suddenly very high. Manakins became very vocal with three species over just a small distance, including close views of an impressive Fiery-capped Manakin. There were plenty of Ant-things including a Goeldi’s Antbird and a nice look at a pair of Bluish-slate Antshrikes, but despite hearing them all over the place, at both here and Amazonia, we still just couldn’t get even the slightest view of a Chestnut-tailed Antbird - aarrgghh! However, this paragraph can only end with one bird - well it was actually two birds - seen on the Capybara Trail by the 450m marker; there was a rustling in the undergrowth followed by the sound of someone striking a giant match on the side of a giant matchbox; the sound made me lust for Benson and Hedges, but its maker was far better than any cancer stick. Plants were moving, only it was too dense to see what was moving them, but, “patience is a virtue,” said Pope John Paul II (I’ve no idea if he did or didn’t, but I bet it was someone like him that said it), so our virtue was tested waiting in a virtuous manner. Pope JP2 would have been proud as we waited and the plants began to move in our direction, then two Pale-winged Trumpeters cautiously peered out at the edge of the track giving us a full on view for a few seconds and then retreating, never to be seen again. By anyone. Ever. Wawaweewa!

Pantiacolla Lodge is set at base the of the Andes below the final foothills and before endless miles of flat lowland rainforest, so today we decided to walk up the last foothill, just so we could say that we had fully traversed the Andes! Gustavo gave us a box lunch of boiled eggs and chicken legs before we set off on the 6 hour uphill slog to get to the Itahuania Mirador. It’s 8km from the lodge to the top, and the first 4km had decent birding, with good numbers of Ant-things (including Plain-throated Antwren and a singing Spot-backed Antbird ), high numbers of Manakins, Screaming Pihas, 2 Starred Wood-Quails and a new Tanager this time coloured Olive. As we climbed by the river we stopped to watch huge Blue-and-yellow Macaws drift over to sit in the trees on the other side, as the trail then headed away from the river and began to climb steeply. A Ruddy-tailed Flycatcher was one of the last birds we enjoyed before the forest fell almost silent as we gained altitude, with just the occasional singing Tinamou and a blast from a Screaming Piha. Thankfully we were shaded under the overhanging trees for the full 8km, as the heat and humidity were back up to serious discomfort levels.

By a small stream we disturbed 5 Collared Peccaries (posh pigs) that ran away grunting in panic and leaving behind the worst smell I’ve ever had to walk through - whatever you do, don’t drink the stream water along Pantiacolla’s Mirador Trail! We passed a camping area used by those that want to bird this area at dawn, especially in the hope of winning themselves the ultimate prize of a Black Tinamou, which can be found around here with a huge helping of luck; then just past here by the 5800m marker a Tinamou began singing… err… hang on…? a Tinamou…? and it wasn’t one on my mp3 player - ooer! Blinkin’ flip! I managed to record it, but I have a feeling that it was just a weird song from a Grey Tinamou and unfortunately not a Black. (If anyone wants a listen send me a PM and I’ll email it.)

The 6,000m and 7,000m distance markers seemed to be way further apart than just 1,000m, but the last km flew by, with a couple of steep descents to cold, clean streams where I submerged my whole head, and then struggled back up the steep ascents. For the last five hours we had been walking on the forest floor, the sky almost totally hidden by the canopy, but now we could see through the trees at head height - we were there at last. Rushing to the opening in the trees, the steep side fell away and there was the view that we’d been told by Per and Fabrice that we just couldn’t miss. Cor blimey! Just an unhindered view of trees and trees and trees and trees and trees, with the Madre de Dios cutting its way through the middle. How far did that flat green horizon extend for? Right the way to the Atlantic? All the way to Hull? We ate our boiled eggs and chicken legs whilst marvelling at the enormous scale of what was in front of us - what a view - and the only sounds we could hear were those of a Screaming Piha and, quite worryingly, a distant chainsaw - the two most distinctive sounds of a South American jungle?

When you’re sat at home in Britain and read that a football pitch-sized area of rainforest is lost every second, or whatever it is, you think to yourself, “Blimey, it’ll all be gone by next week,” and then you see this and realise that there are a Hell of a lot of football pitch-sized areas of rainforest out there. I reckon it’ll take about two years to clear the lot. I did the walk back down in a trance, you know what I mean, those times when you’re tired and get lost in your own thoughts. For the first time since I left school I thought about Dungeon Master, a teacher that looked just that character from the cartoon Dungeons and Dragons. I also sang through Barry Manilow’s masterpiece Copacabana, getting confused over some of the words. Does it go:

Music and fashion were always the passion…?

Or

Music and passion were always in fashion…?

Anyhow, it passed the time, and it only took us 3 hours to get back down to the lodge. The only thing that interrupted my thoughts was a single Collared Peccary, stood on the track and staring straight at us. He wasn’t going anywhere. Maybe he was one of the ones we scared earlier and wanted payback? A Peccary scorned is no laughing matter, but something had to give, so I stamped my foot and shouted, “Go on, get out!” I was being all hard and macho you see. It was quite amazing how my hard macho-ness instantly evaporated as fifty Peccaries began stampeding through the undergrowth and ran across the trail just metres in front of us! Good job I’d got spare pants back at the lodge.

http://www.pantiacolla.com

Last edited:
Hey Tommo

no more superlatives needed mate. I remember being on my own and clocking the RB Scythebill... was so excited i started shouting, all to myself! If you can't inspire a few people to do the same then no one can...

Peccaries can be well scary eh? Did you hear any of them doing the teeth-clacking stuff? Found ourselves in the middle of huge feeding group that started doing it... we had to remain absolutely motionless and silent for about two minutes. Genuinely scared!

Bamboo specialists too... WCTody-tyrant... well done, can be hard to watch, never mind locate...

what's happened to the Cusquena?

Tim

Very nice report, some very good birds!

Peccary encounters can be scary and dangerous, they are probably the most dangerous mammals in the Amazon, next to the Queixada... another species of pig but bigger and with bigger teeth too. It's a good thing they have horrible eyesight though.

The peccary prefer dry land forests while the queixada is more common in the várzea, lowland, seasonally flooded forests.

Last edited:
Hey Tim/Aracari,

I never had any idea that Peccaries were dangerous until I got back to the UK and read about some guy that was stuck up a tree for hours as a group of Peccaries paraded around underneath teeth clacking. The smell they left behind was just foul. Kind of a mix of stale urine and rotting donner meat. A Jaguar had been seen at Pantiacolla just a couple of days before we arrived, so maybe that's why the Peccaries were on edge?

Wish I'd never started this thread. It's taking ages to finish!

tom mckinney said:
Hey Tim/Aracari,

I never had any idea that Peccaries were dangerous until I got back to the UK and read about some guy that was stuck up a tree for hours as a group of Peccaries paraded around underneath teeth clacking. The smell they left behind was just foul. Kind of a mix of stale urine and rotting donner meat. A Jaguar had been seen at Pantiacolla just a couple of days before we arrived, so maybe that's why the Peccaries were on edge?

Keep going Tom, it's bringing back a lot of memories. Did you get any photos?

Trev

Last edited:
Are you going back again Tom?...Gunnars "Satipo Rd" adventure is simply awsome,if you have had a taste of Peruvian Birding and would want to Return!!

I'm already looking at going back again next year. I spoke to Fabrice about Satipo Road and he said it is doable by public transport, providing you allow plenty of time. So I'm thinking about possibly doing that, or maybe somewhere in Tambopata, or possibly Iquitos, or maybe going for the Spatuletail, or Tumbes, or Manu again, or....

tom mckinney said:
Hey Tim/Aracari,

I doubt it was due to the presence of the jaguar. Jaguars are more common in the Amazon than most people think, they are just incredibly wary (easier to see at night though, specially at dry season when they prowl the beaches looking for turtles coming ashore to spawn).

Peccaries are just territorial and when feeling threatned they may attack in group. Queixadas on the other hand are more nomadic and dangerous when you are in their path.

Keep up the reports, it's great!

tom mckinney said:
Part 4
Amazonia Lodge

Hi Tom

You must have left Amazonia lodge just a day before I arrived. I arrived on the second day of the friaje. I was delighted with the place. We saw the Coquette, and had excellent views of the Great Potoo roosting by day. No Tapirs till we got to Manu Wildlife Centre, though. I love reading your reports - it really brings it all back to me.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Did you get the Woodcreeper nesting (or at least it seemed to be) in the far right tree viewable from the double bedrooms veranda? It wasn't heard and nobody managed to nail it, even though we had it well in the scope a few times! I thought Lineated, but others were not so sure.

Did you get the Amethyst Woodstar? Find any decent Ant swarms?

Tom

PS don't have internet access at home at the moment (because BT are bast..., I mean messing me around... AGAIN) so can't post anymore bits for a while.

tom mckinney said:
Hi Alan,

Did you get the Woodcreeper nesting (or at least it seemed to be) in the far right tree viewable from the double bedrooms veranda? It wasn't heard and nobody managed to nail it, even though we had it well in the scope a few times! I thought Lineated, but others were not so sure.

Did you get the Amethyst Woodstar? Find any decent Ant swarms?

Tom

PS don't have internet access at home at the moment (because BT are bast..., I mean messing me around... AGAIN) so can't post anymore bits for a while.

We were pretty sure that the Woodcreeper was Lineated. But we didn't get the Amethyst Woodstar.

Alan

Top stuff Tommo, better than Bryson.

(The reason for that is he does not do birds and you are just as funny!)

Part... err... can't remember now.

Atalaya & Pilcopata

Just after dawn we were waved off by Gustavo as we set off upstream in the boat back to Atalaya, where we arrived just over three hours later. Upon reflection we didn’t see the best that Pantiacolla had to offer. Having arrived during the friaje meant that the bird activity was lower than it should have been, but there’s no point crying over spilt milk: we still saw some seriously good birds and had a brilliant time, and the walk to mirador was worth a trip there in itself! [must go back to Pantiacolla soon…]

Yet again the boat ride was fantastic, and yet again we were accompanied by the boatman’s wife and daughter. We passed close by a Pied Lapwing, stacks of Ringed and Amazon Kingfishers, Fasciated Tiger-Herons, 3 Cocoi Herons and a Capped Heron, as Purplish Jays squabbled on the sides, hirundines skimmed low over the water just by us, and numerous Large-billed Terns all refused to be Yellow-billed Terns (never saw even one!). But, and this might seem a bit odd, the best bird during the boat ride back was an Osprey that flew close over our heads. A bit of avian familiarity was actually quite nice!

The plan now was to stay the night in Atalaya where in the morning we would walk up to another mirador to hopefully see Orange-breasted Falcon. Only there was a slight problem: Atalaya was a dump. I left Miss Cole in the back of a filthy shop - sat on a wooden bench nurturing a jar of Nescafe and a Thermos flask of boiling water (coffee aficionados take note: Peru is not the place for you!) - as I went to try and find somewhere to stay for the night. I asked lots of people sat in doorways for somewhere to stay but none could suggest anywhere in Atalaya, and by the time the fourth crippled dog tried to take my shins off I decided that Orange-breasted Falcons would have to wait another day. Back in the shop I discovered Miss Cole scrutinisng a variety of small black particles floating on the top of the water in the Thermos flask, but I was thirsty and somehow managed to gulp down a mug of coffee and black bits before daring to venture back out for more fun with the dogs. There were now plenty of Westerners waiting for their boats into Manu, all cowering from the dogs - what had gotten into rabid mongrels today? - and all utterly perplexed as to what the resident, toothless village idiot was saying to them. Earlier he had tried to sell me a boat, I presumed he was now trying to sell it to the other Westerners. There was a small white van chugging up the road out of the village, so I ran up to it and asked if we could hop in - anywhere other than here was fine! And so we made our way back to Pilcopata.

Checking into the same hostal as before - where we were welcomed back as if we were the owner’s long-lost children - we then headed out along the Manu road towards Patria, being chased by another little sh1t dog as we left the village. What was amazing about Pilcopata was that nobody ever bothered us. Maybe they are used to birders (although we didn’t see any whilst we were there), but kids would just walk past without ever stopping what to ask what we were doing, and nobody thought it all unusual that there was an anaemic English couple staring at tree tops through binoculars as they were busy collecting pineapples.

Along with lots of new birds for Pilcopata, this afternoon’s new birds for the trip were 2 Short-crested Flycatchers, Black-crowned Tityra (well done Miss Cole), Yellow-browed Sparrow and Chestnut-bellied Seedeater. We were quite surprised to see a Silvered Antbird in a tiny ditch just by the road, but not quite so surprised to see plenty of Black-throated Antbirds. Low point of the day goes to a car that drove straight through a mound of cow sh1t and splattered me in it. Yes Miss Cole, I’m sure it was hilarious.

We walked back into the town at dusk - me peppered with cow sh1t and Miss Cole suffering with stomach cramps from laughing so much - watching Fork-tailed Palm-Swifts and monster White-collared Swifts swirling overhead and parties of Red-and-green Macaws, Chestnut-fronted Macaws, Dusky-headed Parakeets and Blue-headed Parrots heading somewhere to roost. Lomo Saltado for dinner - a huge plate of fried strips of beef with chips, rice and tomatoes - followed by Cusquena in a bar next door where we watched the Peruvian version of X-Factor and then went to bed, only to be woken shortly after by a cockroach running over my head.

The owner of the hostal, Sra Robella, made excellent jungle breakfasts: this morning she went into her garden and pulled down a pineapple, a couple of mangos and a few bananas, chopped them up in front of us and served them with honey drizzled over - rock and roll! This was followed by fried eggs with sweet potato. And you know how much we were paying for the room per night with breakfast included? £4.50! That’s why you don’t moan about cockroaches.

After the early breakfast we headed out back along the road toward Atalaya, this morning in thick fog. The day began with yet another Hermit sp., and this time I could barely be bothered to give it a second glance, but throughout the day we did manage quite a few hummers including Violet-headed, Many-spotted and Sapphire-spangled Emerald. Three Fine-barred Piculets were a nice surpirise amongst a big mixed flock of Tanagers, and other good birds included a pair of Bluish-fonted Jacamars (one smashing its huge bill against a branch), Ruddy Pigeon, 2 Emerald Toucanets, Great and Chestnut-backed Antshrikes, Stripe-chested Antwren (hooray for playback!), 2 vocal Goeldi’s Antbirds, Moustached Wren and Double-collared Seedeater. We also had frustratingly brief glimpses of a yellow warbler which was very possibly Golden-bellied, but on those views we couldn’t boot out the similar (well similar to us!) Two-banded Warbler. The allegedly rare MacConell’s Flycatcher was probably the biggest surprise of the day, and - try as I did to disprove it - the call matched perfectly and good views really left no other options - sweet!

Santiago’s chicken house was the culinary choice for this evening (we’d already done the other two options), but upon an inspection of the kitchen we opted for a pizza. Three exceptionally drunk men provided the entertainment, well that was until they decided to hassle us and were then promptly thrown out by Santiago wielding a rather menacing looking soup ladle.

A few photos below:

the boat; the view from the mirador at Pantiacolla (niiiiiice!); where's Waldo?; and the old bridge by Pilcopata.

Attachments

• Panti1.JPG
    Panti1.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Boat1.JPG
    Boat1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Pilcopata1.JPG
    Pilcopata1.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Pilcopata2.JPG
    Pilcopata2.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back