• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Sweden early April (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
There were 3 birds that I was unsure of during our trip to Skåne in the far south of Sweden from 4th-9th April.
There was also 1 other bird that I was able to identify quite easily but that I think may be of interest. I also a little uncertain of the correct terminology.
1. Some kind of duck. Female Wigeon perhaps?
2., Wood or Green Sandpiper (or something else)
3. More ducks, a pair this time. Gadwall?
4. My heart raced when I saw this beautiful white gull but I quickly realized that it was another white Black-headed Gull. There was a large flock.
I want to call it a leucistic Black-headed Gull but I remember reading somewhere that the term is overused and it is much rarer than most people think.
I think it its appropriate here and I've certainly never seen another gull like this one but I'm curious to know for sure.

Attachments

• 064A6681.jpg
    064A6681.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 064A6765.jpg
    064A6765.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 064A7191.jpg
    064A7191.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 064A7540.jpg
    064A7540.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 064A7547b.jpg
    064A7547b.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 064A7553.jpg
    064A7553.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 36
Hello,
1. first is a male Mallard in an iD-unfriendly posture
2. Green Sandpiper, most Wood SP have brighter legs, a more distinct supercilum and heavy barring to lower breast sides and upper flanks
3. Common Pochard, everything is there, please note good colours for this species
4. leucistic Black headed Gull, right shape and the right head pattern is still visible, this would be different, including bill shape (stouter, drooping) in most similar Med Gull

Thank you very much Alexander! Green Sandpiper is what I wrote in the trip list so I don't have to change that but I'm mentally kicking myself for not recognizing Mallard and Pochard (not on our list).
I'll go ahead and post a picture of the leucistic Black-headed gull in the gallery.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back