• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Texas Warbler Help (1 Viewer)

PhotoHutch

Had this guy near a pond on a 108F day in very south Texas in mid May. I'm leaning towards a female Nashville, but really, I have no idea. Though it looks, to me, mostly like a Connecticut, but it would be well out of its range.

Thanks for the help, yet again!!

Steve

Attachments

• 20060510_1527_DSC0030.jpg
    20060510_1527_DSC0030.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 20060510_1527_0053_DSC0033.jpg
    20060510_1527_0053_DSC0033.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 297
Have you thought of a Mourning Warbler? With the slight break in the eye-ring that is why I think it might be that. (I'm wrong a lot)

I think youre right with Connecticut Warbler... Plain wing pattern, extensive and unmarked, bright yellow underparts, and clear cut off line between dark throat and yellow breast all seem to fit

I had thought Mourning, but the throat seemed too pale. Though a juvenile has a pale throat, Sibleys shows a broken breastband, this little one's is complete. Range is borderline for Mourning, but close enough to make it work. Thanks for all the replies!!

This thread has made me curious as to whether a Connecticut Warbler has ever been recorded in South Texas. Does anyone know a reference available on the internet that would help me find out? Thanks.

This thread has made me curious as to whether a Connecticut Warbler has ever been recorded in South Texas. Does anyone know a reference available on the internet that would help me find out? Thanks.

That latest records of Connecticut Warblers where in 2006 and 2007 that I know of.

A Connecticut Warbler is much larger and has a complete white eye ring (not a broken eye-ring like this bird).

I agree with Mourning Warbler. The eye arcs are broader and shorter on MacGillivray's Warbler among other things.

http://www.mariewinn.com/marieblog/uploaded_images/mourning-warbler-2-737905.jpg

Last edited:
Ironically, I captured the image in 2006, I'm really slow at getting around to my images. . . .

However, I do agree with the consensus that it is a Mourning Warbler.

Thanks for all the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back