• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southend Pier (Essex) today (1 Viewer)

KenM

Am somewhat baffled by this large 1st Winter Gull, seeming to show to my eye YLG/Caspian/Herring Gull traits, can someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8802.jpeg
    IMG_8802.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8801.jpeg
    IMG_8801.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8799.jpeg
    IMG_8799.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8800.jpeg
    IMG_8800.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Hello Ken,

yes I agree with you, the pattern on the new scapulars is slightly finer, not so bold/rough than in a 100%ID book Herring Gull (vaguely reminiscent of a Caspian Gull, but still without a simple dark streak or a diamond shaped center=that's how I like them).
And seeing this, I think I can just make out an indication of the "giraffe like" Caspian Gull shape with a smallish head and a protruding breast (what's the English word for Kropf?)

Is this enough to suggest Caspian Gull influence, when the bird looks predominantly like a 1st cycle Herring Gull to me? No above my paygrade, but like you I hope for Lou and others to jump in so we can learn. Thanks!

Nothing that suggests anything other than 1cy Herring Gull here. Scapulars are of a slightly finer pattern but they are one of the most variable things among first cycle large gulls. All visible greater covert bar is checkered and coverts widely interspersed with white, tertials with wide pale tips but not the moonlike crescents of Caspian Gull. Head and neck evenly and extesively streaked.

Nothing that suggests anything other than 1cy Herring Gull here. Scapulars are of a slightly finer pattern but they are one of the most variable things among first cycle large gulls. All visible greater covert bar is checkered and coverts widely interspersed with white, tertials with wide pale tips but not the moonlike crescents of Caspian Gull. Head and neck evenly and extesively streaked.

It must have been the smaller dark eye, gony angle to the “biggish” bill, pale almost sloping head perhaps giving it a Caspian feel, plus perhaps also the longish legs that said, I had noted the checkered coverts which I’m aware is a Herring Gull feature, hence my inclusion of that species in the mix.
Cheers Lou quite instructive!….am now on the prowl for those moonlike crescents.🤣👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back