• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Arizona Vireo? (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Took these two photos (same bird) somewhere in southern Arizona. Wondering t=whether it is possible to identify?
Thank you for your help.Bird-1A.jpgBird-1B.jpg

I’m thinking Bell’s Vireo, slightly olive wash to flanks, broken eye-ring, grey uppers (as best as one can see) and longish tail.

Cheers

I’m thinking Bell’s Vireo, slightly olive wash to flanks, broken eye-ring, grey uppers (as best as one can see) and longish tail.

Cheers
I think this is correct, an individual with an unusually strong loral pattern (i.e. vaguely recalling other vireos). I think the long bill with pale lower mandible is a clue

Given that Sibley specifically says 'small bill' for Bell's vireo, I don't know that I'd want to rule out plumbeous vireo - maybe not even grey vireo. Obviously needs plenty of field experience of the variation in these things.

Given that Sibley specifically says 'small bill' for Bell's vireo, I don't know that I'd want to rule out plumbeous vireo - maybe not even grey vireo. Obviously needs plenty of field experience of the variation in these things.
Bill structure is wrong for those. Ebird headline images show they have short, stubby bills (well illustrated by Sibley iirc). Bell's is variable but has a longer thinner bill.

I'd be comfortable calling this Bell's Vireo. It would be quite helpful to have a date for this sighting, as Cassin's and Plumbeous tend to be in more forested areas (often pine) during the summer (and Cassin's doesn't breed in Arizona). Both of these species (and Gray Vireo) have different face patterns and darker gray, thicker bills. The longer, thinner bill of Bell's is often pinkish on much of the lower mandible, and the faint creamy yellow wash to the underparts is good for this over the other species.

And while most species can be seen in lower deserts during migration, Bell's is ubiquitous March through September across many of the mesquite/Palo Verde desert scrub habitats (looks good in this photo for that type).

I think it’s Bells as well. It’s not Cassin’s but it could be Plumbeous. Habitat type, if known, could help. If it was in mountainous habitat it would be more likely to be Plumbeous, if it was lowlands much more likely Bells.

I was looking at the very common Bell's, comparing them to an early Warbling, less than an hour ago. This looks to be mesquite habitat, again, common for Bell's. Bill to head proportions don't seem right for Plumbeous, and there's not enough 'spectacle.' Bell's for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back