• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Double-collared Sunbird or Greater Double-collared Sunbird ? (South Africa) (2 Viewers)

JarJar

Hi there,

is this a Southern Double-collared Sunbird or or Greater Double-collared Sunbird?

Seen in South Africa, Blyde River Canyon, God´s Window, 17. August 2023

Best regards and thanks,
Christoph

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 14
Belly is more yellow and red breast band seems more extensive- so Greater Double-collared Sunbird in my opinion.

Last edited:
Belly is more yellow
is this a feature? not mentioned in the Sasol app.

Although the red band is broad, it's just about within variation for Southern. The bill is similarly on the boundary. On balance I agree this is probably greater double-banded, mostly because the bill is more robust than most Southerns.

is this a feature? not mentioned in the Sasol app.

Although the red band is broad, it's just about within variation for Southern. The bill is similarly on the boundary. On balance I agree this is probably greater double-banded, mostly because the bill is more robust than most Southerns.
Unless my field guide is wrong it should be, I also agree about the bill. Imo I thought the red band was much to large for the southern. Have not seen many pics of southern with bands so extensive- and it seems quite normal for a greater.

Edit- after more research I don’t believe the ‘more yellowish belly’ is a reliable feature. Though I still believe it’s a greater based on the band and the bill as well as what the_fern mentioned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back