• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which type of Starling is this? South Africa, March 2023 (2 Viewers)

HeckleJeckle

Germany
Hi to all,

I recently spent a three-week vacation in South Africa and in Colchester (close to Addo Elephant National Park) I took these picture of a Starling which I can't identify. With its dark eyes I'd say it's a Burchell's Starling (as opposed to the Cape Glossy Starling with its yellow eyes), just that the app Merlin Bird ID tells me it that Burchell's Starling only appears much further north. The picture was taken on 10 March of this year.

Could anyone help in identifying it?

Many thanks in advance and best regards!
Tim

Attachments

• P1020631.JPG
    P1020631.JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 37
  • P1020632.JPG
    P1020632.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 37
It can be only either the Cape Glossy, or the Black-bellied Starling from location, but as far as I can tell, its a Black-bellied, because of the black belly. However, this could be just due to no direct light showing a lack of effervescence. It has a greeny yellow eye. Which I think shows that it is a younger bird. The lack of black spots at the end of the greater and median wing coverts also points to Black-bellied Starling. This year will be my 9th trip to Southern Africa so although I'm no expert, I have a fair amount of experience of the avifauna. Enough to know the glossy starlings are quite tricky to ID

Nothing to add except that I wouldn't trust any black-looking areas on a glossy starling not to look glossy in a different light. And (as well as range) it's the wrong shape for Burchell's Starling

Thanks, Andy and Larry, for your helpful replies!

I had initially excluded the Black-bellied Starling, since according to Merlin Bird ID (and like the Cape Glossy Starling) it has striking bright yellow eyes ... which the bird on my pictures does not have.

But, do I understand correctly then, that at a younger age the eyes of the Black-bellied Starling are less of a bright yellow? And does that count for the Cape Glossy Starling as well?

Cheers,
Tim

No books here but isn't Black-bellied, most often near water?
I'm there in the dry season...but in Southern Africa its in coastal Mozambique down to just a bit E of cape of Good Hope in South Africa, but also in the Kruger NP, more mid and central. I can't recall where I saw it the most, but the books say riverine and coastal forest.

I'm there in the dry season...but in Southern Africa its in coastal Mozambique down to just a bit E of cape of Good Hope in South Africa, but also in the Kruger NP, more mid and central. I can't recall where I saw it the most, but the books say riverine and coastal forest.
I didn't get it Andy, not common in Kruger I don't think?

No not common Andy, but if remember correctly, I saw it down near St Lucia, may be at the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi National Park in Kwa Zulu Natal on several occasions and down near Knysna the year the had the fire, fairly recently over my life time onyho.

EDIT: I wrote this yesterday, but forgot to post it. Sorry about that Andy

Great stuff, thanks for pointing out the Opus here on the forum, very helpful!
Opus is a great source of information, that is being worked on and updated on a daily basis by the Editors. I've semi retired, hopefully I'll start being active if my health improves.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back