• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern US bird sound (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
I was watching a film the other day, Arkansas. As the title implies it is set in Arkansas! There was a persistent bird song in the background of a lot of the outdoor scenes. To my ear it sounded just like a Yellowhammer. Now is there a US bird that sounds like a Yellowhammer, or had the foley artist just picked the wrong stock audio?

I mean, about half of the North American songbirds are related to the Yellowhammer somehow, and (more to the point) IIRC there are some that sound similar. It's just as likely that the foley artists got it wrong, though. The amount of movies or other media with geographically correct background bird songs is minuscle compared to the ones that feature a random mix of North American and European bird voices irrespective of location.

I was watching a film the other day, Arkansas. As the title implies it is set in Arkansas! There was a persistent bird song in the background of a lot of the outdoor scenes. To my ear it sounded just like a Yellowhammer. Now is there a US bird that sounds like a Yellowhammer, or had the foley artist just picked the wrong stock audio?
Listening to a Yellowhammer song recording, I was struck by how much it sounds similar to a slow Prairie Warbler song. They tend to be persistent singers on warm summer days in scrubby, piny fields in the east; maybe it's the same out in Arkansas.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back