• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (6 Viewers)

snapper said:
Peregrine for me to down load the image crop it then blow it up then tell me it's not a Peregrine.

Did that...its not a Peregrine :D

Try passing the original through some filters - infrared, colours, b/w etc.

Still can't see why it is a Peg...

PS. Did it hover? ;)

I can lose the horns and gice it a blue-grey crown, making it look even more like a Southern American Kestrel... well I have to do something while we wait to be put out of our misery.

Whether the head is facing the camera or is turned to the side is open to question, but I can't make out the breast of that bird to be anything other than warm brown.

I'm sure there was a mention of an escape American Kessie in Germany - or was I dreaming?

It was Northern Germany and the male was a South American bird! Still clutching at straws, but what else is there to do? Its also just occured to me that I might be seeing this bird facing a different direction to other people - I reckon the warm brown is breast and the grey is wing

Attachments

• falcon.JPG
    falcon.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 109
  • falcon.JPG
    falcon.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Last edited:
I know it's very difficult to determine on the photo's so far, particularly given it's not obvious which way the head is facing, but do all races of American Kestrel show the dark 'ocillae' (black stripe to rear of pale cheek) or do some lack it?

I sorta feel the birds head is more to the left than head-on, I think I can see a suggestion of a small bill ... cannot be sure however

if Janes interpretation is right (ie the way it's facing, breast on) then it's clearly a dark (or intermediate given the paleness of the head?) morph American Kestrel ... if I'm honest however I'm not sure and suspect it may be a Eurasian Kestrel side on ... anyone still maintaining Peregrine ?

I agree, I thought it was more side on (even body facing slightly away), with the head turned more towards the camera, but still facing left (I agree with the hint of a bill) - hence my thoughts earlier about the pale chin. I still think there is something (maybe just shadow) over the upper flanks/breast.

Here is a simple, colour removed version, cropped and re-sized up 2x.

Attachments

• BW BIrd.jpg
    BW BIrd.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
mw_aurora said:
I agree, I thought it was more side on (even body facing slightly away), with the head turned more towards the camera, but still facing left (I agree with the hint of a bill) - hence my thoughts earlier about the pale chin. I still think there is something (maybe just shadow) over the upper flanks/breast.

Here is a simple, colour removed version, cropped and re-sized up 2x.

Again seeing which way it flew in the video would help loads!

C0ops said:
Not to insult anyone but it is pretty hard to mistake a Peregrine Falcon for an American Kestrel. American kestrel is just 5cm larger than a European Starling to put things in perspective. I'm going with Eurasian Kestrel. Check Out the link. http://www.themodernapprentice.com/EURkestrel.htm

I don't know about you - but I don't know how big that tree/bush is! A hint from Dieter would help - as well as which way the bird is facing.

Last edited:
My first feeling about the bush from the structur of the branches was that it is an Elder bush (Sambucus nigra) , but this ID can be way off....thats one additional reason why I was thinking kestrel, apart from the impression I got from the bird...

London Birder said:
Peregrines do occasionally sit in trees for sure , but I think that link is showing a Hobby
I knew someone would fall for that trap (I had to look at least twice myself)! I can assure you it's an immature (ringed) Peregrine photographed by a top birdwatcher who sees dozens of Peregrines and 100s of Hobbies a year! Breast streaking in Hobby is never that fine, bill is smaller, facial markings are different…

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back