• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (10 Viewers)

Xeno, frankly, I think it's you who have fallen into 'the trap' and/or been misled, regardless of who the 'top' birdwatcher is or what it's been rung as...it's a Hobby...and it appears to be an (sub) adult at that

Last edited:
Kestrel, Peregrine ?

Hi,

I saw the movie again yesterday. Even it is difficult to describe to noise, even in a foreign language, I would say it sounds something like "hweet, hweet". London Birder ask for the noise. The bird made this "hweet" noise 2 x, than break and 2 x again and so on.
Some more pictures, but only snapshots from movie.
Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Attachments

• DSC01332.JPG
    DSC01332.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01331.JPG
    DSC01331.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC01330.JPG
    DSC01330.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC01329.JPG
    DSC01329.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 236
not sure who asked you for the vocals Dieter but don't think it was me ... well done producing these shots ... depicting a Kestrel (probably a female/immature judging by the tail).

Noise

Hi,

I have no idea how to copy parts of video tape to a computer.
My computer is not good enough to process a complete video tape.
I use camcorder Sony DCR-HC 1000.
If someone want hear to noise, I could give him a call.

Best regards
Dieter

Q

albatross02 said:
The bird made this "hweet" noise

All clear now -it's a Chiffchaff! :)

Nice flight pictures - good to see the 'brown blob' aka branch/leaf flies at exactly the same speed as the bird! 3:)

Congrats to all who called the correct ID :clap:

And it is indeed an elder shrub (Sambucus nigra)...Schwarzer Holunder...

But a nice entertaining bit of mass hysteria it was :D ....especially during a dull day at work...

Yep, Kestrel. Another object lesson in the difficulties of IDing birds from a single blurry picture. Hats off to all of those who stood their ground against the Peregrine camp!! :clap:

Rgds

Greg

kosmos said:
Where are Amsel and his mates from the national rarities commitee on Helgoland? ;)

Absolutely ! I admit to being wrong on this one, but I was far from alone and it would be nice to see the reaction of Amsel et al.

Stuart

More of those rorschach blobs please: input from KMO most welcome.

And I'm just trusting first impressions from now on…

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back