• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows nest (1 Viewer)

Mamaburd

United States
Hi everyone,
I’m Maureen from NJ, and I love birding, feeding and admiring the birds in my area.
Received a birdhouse with video camera and set it up. Much success, sparrows laid claim to it immediately. Have enjoyed watching them build their nest now for two weeks. However there is one behavior I’ve noticed them doing that I’m not understanding and hoping someone could shed some light for me.
Nest is 3/4 the way up from the entrance hole, they’re working real hard. However watching the live feed, I noticed that they (one at a time) goes under the nest (out of site) and start to flutter their wings in what looks like an attempt to raise up the nesting material. No eggs that I’ve seen at all. The nest has no cylinder area where eggs could go? Wondering if anyone may know what this means. Thanks for your time!!

Hi Mamaburd and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm not too sure what you're seeing, but often the fluttering wings is a begging behaviour, in the spring, by the female begging the male for food; later on after the young have fledged they will do the same. Which species of sparrow are you talking about?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Mamaburd and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm not too sure what you're seeing, but often the fluttering wings is a begging behaviour, in the spring, by the female begging the male for food; later on after the young have fledged they will do the same. Which species of sparrow are you talking about?

Hi Delia, thanks for answering. They are typical House Sparrows. I do remember when they were looking inside the birdhouse…and no material was inside,

Hi Delia
Thanks for answering. They are House Sparrows, and I have a video of the behavior. Guess I should have posted that first…lol.
I don’t hear babies nor have seen eggs or babies. Not sure if there are eggs underneath the material. Just curious. Thanks

Attachments

• 2023_04_13_14_58_39_7_ZOsNTv.mp4
    3.1 MB
Welcome aboard Mamaburd! It's good to have you here with us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back