• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spots in Lake District (1 Viewer)

Is there anything you're particularly wanting to see? Or just wanting to know some sights to visit?

A couple of sites would be great, apart from a visit to Leighton, i've not had much luck in the Lakes. Now the father in law has a place in Windermere I think I need to put a bit more work in!

Thanks
James

The central Lakes isn't the greatest place to bird, but there is always hope!

It is always worth having a scout across Windermere from Waterhead or if the weather is nice going on a round the islands cruise, the lake can harbour a good range of water birds and there is a chance of otters.

A walk up to Elterwater from Skelwith Bridge offers a mix of habitats and is not to taxing with a good café at one end and a good pub at the other.

The ospreys will be gone by then but a trip round to Haweswater for the Golden Eagle can be worth the drive if the bird is playing ball and not sat on rock two miles away.

A trip across to Hodbarrow can be rewarding as it good at picking up migrants and the drive over is very scenic especially if you go via Wrynose and the Duddon valley.

If you are popping down to Leighton Moss then pop into Foulshaw Moss on your way past, it is a brief diversion but the viewing area is only a short walk from the road.

There is such a great amount of land and sky to be watched in the Lakes and very few folk doing it so things can slip past unnoticed. We also have a disjointed series of websites where folk collate their sightings.

LDWS is an active society that has a good site covering North Lancashire and the very bottom of Cumbria.

Birding Cumbria aims to cover the whole county but the vast majority of posts are in the north.

Walney keeps itself to itself and has it own blog.

A new blog has started aiming to cover the south of the county but mainly coastal.

Hope you have a good time and if you need any other info let me know and I will try to oblige.

Mono

Excellent post from Mono. In addition I'd add that the woodlands around Elterwater and Grasmere are excellent for redstart, pied flycatcher and wood warbler (if you happen to plan a trip next summer). Sizergh is always worth a visit although it may be a little early for hawfinch. Helsington Barrows is also worth checking and has been known to turn up some good birds during migration time.

A couple of sites would be great, apart from a visit to Leighton, i've not had much luck in the Lakes. Now the father in law has a place in Windermere I think I need to put a bit more work in!

Thanks
James

Hi there!
I have been birdwatching in the South Lakes for years.It is wonderful.Just a case of knowing the best places at a particular time of year as well as the tide situation.
In the Spring and Summer I regulary visit Bannisdale- Pied Flycatcher,Redstart,Wheatear,Whinchat,Reed Bunting,Stonechat,Meadow Pippet,Tree Pippet,Snipe,Cuckoo,Peregine,Raven,Redpoll,Green Woodpecker,Tawny Owl.This valley is one of the best birdwatching places in the area.
Also go to Kentmere particulary for Pied Flycatcher,Cuckoo,Garden Warbler and Blackcap.
Late Summer it's Scout Scar and Helsington Barrow-Passing Meadow Pippet,Linnet,Wheatear,Redstart,Whinchat,Spotted Flycatcher,Garden Warbler,Finches and Tits as well as resident Green Woodpecker.I visited the scar every day for about two weeks at the end of August/early September this year.Oddly enough I was seeing more passing birds here than at Walney on some days!
Brilliant!
The Cumbria Coastal way is good late Summer,Early Autumn for Wheatear,Whinchat,Measdow Pippet,Linnet,Ringed Plover,Common Sandpiper,Osprey,Peregine
Foulshaw reliable for Osprey,Redpoll,Stonechat,passing Warblers, hirundines and possibly Hobby[several sightings this year]
Visit Flookburgh Marsh,Kents Bank and Grange in the Winter for huge flocks of waders,gulls,Turnstone,Pinkfeet,Grey and Golden Plover,Hen Harrier,Pergine,Merlin,Greater Crested Grebe,Eider,Goldeneye.Wigeon,Teal,Little Egret,Shellduck,Lapwing,Twite,Linnet.
Ulpha Meadows attracts,Teal,Wigeon,Shoveller,Shellduck,Greylag,Lapwing,Curlew and waders.Big flocks of Redwing and Fieldfare are around as well.
Winter is also Sizergh season for the Hawfinch.
Notice that all these areas are on the fringes of the Lake District and in most cases virtually undisturbed and in the case of Bannisdale,the Coastal Way and Foulshaw, totally undisturbed.
They involve a lot of getting out of the car and walking in some cases.Not a bad thing.Its kept me fit tramping around these wonderful places for years.I can guarantee you won't see a soul most days especially,Bannnisdale,Ulpha Meadows and the Cumbria Coastal Way.

Last edited:
Thanks,Mono,I just clicked onto the Hodbarrow link,and hey presto lots of my photos.
This is an excellent time for anyone to visit our coastal areas,esp during these storms.Our Cormorants are close up in the river here in Haverigg,the Mergansers have arrived in the river for their overwintering spell.There should be Wheatears etc in and around the reserve.

Guys, thanks so much for the tips and Local gen. Invaluable information and very generous of you to take the time to share.
I will print all of this and take it with me on my visit, will be nice to see this side of the Lakes!
If any of you are down in Devon, I would be happy to reciprocate!
James

Perhaps a little out of the way for you, but if you want a good winter's day out, try the drive north from Workington along the Solway coast - vast flocks of geese, and lots of waders too, with a good chance of Merlins at Skinburness, and Hen Harrier at Campfield.

Hen Harrier can also be a winter visitor at Foulshaw Moss.

Any species to keep an eye out for when I am in Keswick for a night in mid-October? Will be touring, not primarily birding, but will head out early in the morning and will always be keeping my eyes open. I'm a US birder, so most everything will still be different and fun, but would like to know if there are any migrants to keep my eyes open for in the next few weeks. Any tips are much appreciated!

Just a quick note , not sure if anyone else has said this I haven't read all the posts to your thread. I was in Martindale , Ullswater on Nov 3rd 2011 and spoke to a very knowledgeable local birder who told me the female eagle in Haweswater died three years ago, she was older than the male, the male is still there but he wanders away more than he did. Maybe this is the reason the sightings are not as reliable.

In autumn and winter the male does roam wider but stays fairly close to his home valley, a lot depends on food availabilty. During the spring and summer he is almost exclusivly in Riggindale, the difficuly in a relible sighting is that if not displaying he will be sat on a rock or tree maybe 2km from the observation point and with out knowledge of his favourite spots or an RSPB volunteer to show you it is very time consuming to find him.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back