• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring Migration (1 Viewer)

With some southerly winds with high pressure over france and spain we may see a reasonable influx of migrants over the next week or so. Those cold northerlies will have slowed them up somewhat!

We have plenty of Auks returning to the cliffs at the moment. Sanwich terns reported from North Ron. Only one Bonxie been seen so far but its early days.

A good strong southerly air flow is what we need,fingers crossed.

2 Sandwich Terns arrived on the East Scrape at Minsmere on Tuesday whilst I was there! Strange seeing them in snow!
Claire

Swallows, Sand Martins, LR Plovers, Wheatears and Ring Ouzels have all been back in Durham (north-east England) for about a week now. Oddly no Sandwich Terns yet - in fact very little return seabird movement.

Yesterday (Sunday) we saw our first Wheatears, three males, looked superb, saw them just west of Ingbirchworth reservoir, South Yorkshire.
Been looking for a week or so, and then hit lucky with one a couple yards away from the car, joined then by the other two.

i have failed to see a swallow earlier than i did last year. couldnt beat last years sighting on 1st April. not had a wheatear yet either.

perhaps i should give up...

I've not seen any real signs of long range migration up here on the West Coast of Scotland, (I'm probably missing the wheatears though!) but there's more Siskins and goldfinches around this week.

Got my first Reed Warbler of the year this morning at Newport wetlands. Its my earliest ever by far!

Got my first Reed Warbler of the year this morning at Newport wetlands. Its my earliest ever by far!
That is a very early Reed Warbler.I got my earliest Reed Warbler last spring on the 18.4 at Teeside,north east.Reed Warblers up round my way dont arrive until the back end of April.

That is a very early Reed Warbler.I got my earliest Reed Warbler last spring on the 18.4 at Teeside,north east.Reed Warblers up round my way dont arrive until the back end of April.

i was really suprised, and it was singing! but from brambles and hawthorns. It took me a while to realise what i was listening to. I spoke to my county recorder and we think it could the first of the year in the UK? anyone else seen one yet?

Attachments

• Reeb Warbler 1.JPG
    Reeb Warbler 1.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 113
i was really suprised, and it was singing! but from brambles and hawthorns. It took me a while to realise what i was listening to. I spoke to my county recorder and we think it could the first of the year in the UK? anyone else seen one yet?
Yes you might be right it could be the first for the year ,have'nt seen any reports of Reed Warblers arriving.Whinchat reported in Norfolk a couple of days ago thats early.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back